Waters of Fitzroy Harbour

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Waters of Fitzroy Harbour

Post by U.L. »

Gid'ay guys, it has been a while. My son is fishing Fitzroy this weekend and launching from the provincial park. Firstly are there any water hazzards he needs to watch for in that area and secondly are there any decent areas to target for bass around there? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
UL
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I've only fished fitzroy a few times, so here is all the help I can give:

Launching out of the provencial park can be a tedious process.
Firstly, at the launch, do not go to the right,too shallow, and its a dead end; and even though it looks like you can navigate around the rocks straight ahead, you can not. I found myself half-walking the canoe over the rocks earlier this year and late last year. :roll:
The entire inner bay ranges from about 3-10 feet, with a few 15-20 ft holes here and there.
Lots of weeds, so be prepared.
Your son will want to go left from the launch, almost to the end of the bay before he heads north to the main channel.
If he is in a smaller boat, or canoe, be very very careful near the dam. If they open the gates, it gets downright messy very quickly.

Hint: Have your son cast and troll some topwater baits around the inside bay near the park. This is where I have caught a few smaller acrobatic muskie, but I am sure there are some lunkers there. Good luck!
Chris
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

hey U.L i spent last week-end at fitzroy park and you cannot launch a boat their or anything else for that matter, the water is reallllly low, maybe try the launch in fitzroy, happy fishin
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Thanks for the info guys it is much appreciated. He will be very disappointed if he cannot launch out of there. Oh well time will tell. Thanks again :wink:

Cheers
UL (Gary)
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

if it's not too late for you, I live in Fitzroy and the other posts are correct. The waters around the islands and the dam are bad for rocks and current. However, if you can launch the boat, the islands opposite the beach produce bass in the morning and evenings - nice ones too, plus pike and the occaisional muskie. From the beach you can go left and down into the harbour area. See the launch info on this site as I added some more info there. Have fun - go slow or follow a local.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Thanks ady, much appreciated. I gave him the info and stressed the slow and easy. Take care and thanks again.

Cheers
UL