The Purpose of this Forum

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

The Purpose of this Forum

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

The note under "Fishing Talk" is as follows:

"This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations."

I was one of the first to join this site (I use to access it regularly before they started memberships) and it was because you could find great info on fishing ... tips, reports and yes ... entertaining stories and pics.

Somehow this board has morphed into a anything and everything site. I know people like to express opinions and let the world know how THEY are right and others are wrong. Nothing wrong with that ... but not here.

If people must have their say, create a new forum where people can let off steam and vent all they want. Just post a warning first that not everybody will agree with what is written and be prepared to be attacked!

Needless to say, the board has really gone downhill (I know ... an opinion) and is not nearly as useful as it use to be. This could be mitigated if the moderators would keep the info on topic, but as we've seen today, even the moderators are getting fed-up.

I would like to thank everyone who has provided me with advice when asked, as it has always proved useful. I still ask now and then, but my use of the site has demisihed over time because of all the useless crap that keeps showing up here. (another opinion :oops: )

Please get back to using the forum for its entended purpose so that we can all learn and improve our fishing time on the water.

Thank!
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Please get back to using the forum for its entended purpose so that we can all learn and improve our fishing time on the water.
Amen!!!!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

For my opinion check Moosebunk's reply in RJ's thread. He said it very eloquently.

If there is a thread you don't want to read then ignore it, simply don't open it or don't respond. I just don't understand it when people say tackling sticky issues ruin the site.
Michael
Participant
Participant

Post by Michael »

On my browser, Fishing Talk displays 50 topics. I scrolled back a month or two and in no place were there more than two of these so-called "controversial" or "political" threads represented on each page. So fishing reports and Q&A threads consistently account for more than 98% of the topics posted, now and in the past.

Interestingly, the easiest way to spot the controversial topics on a page is by scanning the number of views - these are the ones that typically attracted more than 1500 hits before they flamed or fizzled out. For what ever reason, those threads are the most popular. I hope it's because, aside from the name-calling, stereotyping and sarcastic posts, there are thoughtful exchanges of ideas, methods and experiences from folks who share a love of fishing.

My admittedly limited experience of the site is that these dust-ups play out as "on-topic" under clearly defined subject headers. If people are truly made wretched by the discussions therein, then their misery is self-inflicted.

Is there really a problem? IMHO, yes but it is not in the subject matter (which again, accounts for about one in 50 threads). The problem is with the tone and a general willingness of some to demean those with contrasting opinions. In a fit of pique, I've made mistakes in my tone and I in the future, will try to be 100% respectful to my fellow Hawk-Talkers.

Before I hit the Submit button I'll ask myself first:

(a) Do my comments conform to the subject header of the person who launched the thread?

(b) Would I use this tone in-person with a friend or a friend-of-a-friend?

(c) Do my comments make a positive contribution to the discussion or am I just repeating what I or someone else has said earlier in the thread?

If I can't answer "yes" to all of these questions, it's not worth posting.

Just my thoughts,

Michael

It's a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'Try to be a little kinder'.

--Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)
Last edited by Michael on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

pro-bassing wrote:
Amen!!!!
ditto!!

I have missed (somehow??) the BS that has been going on. What is it that starts the serious name calling and threatening PMs?? I haven't seen anything serious on this board and I'm on it all the time (don't tell my boss :oops: )

Is it disclosing honey holes/hot spots ?? or just plain rudeness. I actually enjoy the discussions and learn from them, no more OOS pics, proper musky tackle and nets etc.
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

The thing that never ceases to amaze me is why folks start threads like this and others such as this and , I'M LEAVING , I'm stepping down etc,etc . If your going to leave or step down or quit posting then just go and do it and don't bother a site with the drama . If you have a problem or are full of self pity then take it to a larger audience such as the DR. Phil show . Threads such as this one and others accomplish sh!t and only serve one pupose and that is to create others like it, that make a person want to puke . On T.V. at least you can switch the channel but on a forum where you expect to only see fishing related things posted you open threads up only to find another such as this one and some others . Clutters up the forum in wasted space is all and like I said if you want drama or feel sorry for yourself take it to a professional such as Dr. Phil .

TD
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Hey Rideau-Lungehunter - it's nice to see you post something after so long.

I think Hawk Talk has gotten better and better to be honest with you. My favourite stuff is the reports. I love reposts that have pictures and a short story about what happened.

You say Hawk Talk has morphed into a anything and everything site. Surely that is a function of an audience that is growing and changing in composition on a daily basis. I can't see a message board remaining the same unless nothing changes, and we have change everyday.

Message Boards are a many-headed serpent. Like Michael points out, the threads that get the most traffic are the ones that are controversial. Is it because people like to look at the controversey or is it because people like to stop when there is a brawl. The answer is all of the above plus a few more we haven't thought of yet.

So while a lot of what we do as participants on a thread is done with best intentions, the truth is, if the topic is a controversial one, saying anything at all, good or bad or neutral, fuels the fire.

I've seen where people have posted something like... "Let's not talk about this subject anymore". By posting that message, you just indeed talked about it some more. The real message that comes across from a message that says "I don't want to talk about this anymore is...

"I am sick and tired of talking about this - we have kicked it around so much - it has stirred up so much crap - it is driving me crazy and there is absolutely nothing YOU or anyone can possibly add to this discussion that will be of value."

For starters, can you really expect someone to stop talking about a message because of a plea to everyone in general from another participant? Good luck I say. A thread will burn out when no more fuel is added. With an audience as large as Hawk Talk, there is no shortage of fuel.

It's funny how so many people say they don't want to see anymore of a particular topic when the truth is they can't seem to tear their eyes away from it.

So while we all have our complaints about this message board - my biggest problem still remains with ensuring the content that gets posted in here in the least demonstrates no disrespect toward anyone.

Discussion is good if there are two people who want to talk about it. When it can't be done in a civilized way it doesn't accomplish anything.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"