Caught my first muskie!!!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Caught my first muskie!!!!!!

Post by something_fishy »

Well, tonight I landed my first spotted muskie. It wasn't a very long one, only 26 inches, but it was really fat all around. I have a question though, while I was trying to get the lure out, it jumped up and grabbed my fingers. It actually bit me and closed its mouth and shook!!! :o
Its fangs were inbedded into my first 2 fingers about 1/2 inch down. It finally shook loose of me and blood was spurting everywhere from my fingers.
Needless to say, they are very sore. I went home and cleaned them and put peroxide on them, they are still tender. Am I in any danger of some sort of muskie disease or anything like that, or can I just treat it like any other puncture wound?
Is it the same as being bitten by a wild animal, should I seek medical attention???

Chris
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Congrats on the muskie!!! That must of killed. Ive had that happen to me, but with a pike. Hope your fingers feel better.
Northamfishing Tackle
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I heard from an old bushman that your D#$% will probably have to be amputated or if u leave it alone it'll just fall off in a couple of weeks
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

People react differently to different things. Although I have never heard of anyone losing a finger or a limb to infection fro a musky bite...I would err on the side of caution. You never know that fish may have had an infection. It can't hurt to have it checked out....but if you don't check it out...
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Oh come on!!!

Come on guys, I'm a bit of a paranoid freak, I over react to stupid things and panic. Don't send me into a spin here, am I in any danger or not???
Someone please give me an honest answer, preferably someone who has been bitten by a fish, not just pricked, but actually bitten! :shock:

Chris
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

caaan nt ttype anymmmoore

gettinng nnnnumb, stiifff fiingersss. Frothhhing at mmmouth...........
glub, glub, glub...
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

just call the emergency room at a hospital, when was your last tetanus shot. if it's more than 10 years i'd go get one. That's what you have to do if you get bitten by a dog ... Call they let u know.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
canoedude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by canoedude »

I'm sure you'll be fine, however, somethings to watch for (just in case):

-intense pain/swelling/inflammation at the site of injury
-fever or swollen glands

Sepsis (massive bacterial infection in the blood) is life-threatening but is usually only a problem in people who have an abscess rupture etc. The immune system makes quick work of bacteria if their numbers are small....You are not the first or last person to be bitten by a muskie or pike.

If in doubt, however, see an MD - I'm simply a Ph(ake) D(octor) :lol:

Canoedude
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I'd treat it as any other animal bite Chris. Disenfect the wound, keep it clean, watch for infection. Get it checked out if it looks to be getting worse quicker than better. Congrats on your first muskie. Your one up on me, as I've yet to hook one. I'll watch my hands when I finally do ;)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

SF,

Relax....Welcome to the Club...No big deal at all.....or I'd be long dead by now....

RJ
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks guys

I know, I know, but I am a paranoid freak, you should see me with a flu!!! I've been know to call the emergency for really stupid things like bad gas or heartburn!!

Thanks for puttin up with me, silly ain't it? :oops: :oops:
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

congrats on the lunge. Nasty buggers aren't they. :lol:
You will know if you are in trouble with the bite. The next full moon will tell. O darn thats for lycanthorpy. :twisted:
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bruin »

PEE ON IT.... :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Take wally boss's advice. If you havent received a tetanus shot in 10 years. get one.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Listen I wasn't playin around with ya...and especially if your a hypocondriac...go get it checked that way if there is something wrong...it can be fixed..if ya need a shot you can get one..and If you don't go you might have a bloody panic attack by the sounds of it...Just go! Health care like hooksets are free!!! So it is there to use!