Getting a boat!! YEEE HAAWWWW ... now I need help

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Getting a boat!! YEEE HAAWWWW ... now I need help

Post by DaveH »

Well I'm finally going to have a boat this season... my grandfather's old tin-banger with a 9.9

Now, I know that this motor hasn't been run in a few years, but it was rebuilt about 5 years ago. What should I be doing before tryin to light it up??

Any advice would be much appreciated, as you can imagine I'm quite keen on getting out there, and it may even arrive this week in time for bass opener!!!
franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Dump the old gas

Post by franklauzon »

Hey, the tank should come with some gas, so dump that, mix some fresh stuff, and test it out... If it doesn't run well, quite possible that some old gas varnished the carb, then you'll have to take off the Carb and clean it, and then should run fine. You may want to look at the plug, make sure it's not black.
Sluggo
Participant
Participant

Post by Sluggo »

Like kodiak said, clean the carb. The other thing I would recommend would to be change the oil in the lower unit.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

New plugs might be a good idea too :!:
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

motor

Post by Jigs »

Hi Dave:

Glad to hear of your good luck.

If it were me, even before you think of putting it in the water:

l. Change the lower unit oil. For an OMC product, SAE 90 is the stuff and don't go cheap. The oil that comes out of the engine should be amber, or a variation of amber. If it's milky, you have seal issues and should consult someone who knows outboards.

2. Take out the old plugs, write down the number on the plug, find out the correct gapping, and buy new ones. Get the best you can afford, and chuck the oldies.

3. Dispose of any old gas in the motor. Find out the correct oil/gas mix and add some new gas. Try it. If it runs good, no problem. If not, try some carb cleaner mixed with the gas. If still no good, take off the carb and clean it.

4. Take off the prop and grease up the spindle. Make sure no fishing line etc. is wrapped. Take out the plugs and put motor in neutral while messing with the prop. Get some shear pins.

5. Grease any fittings on the motor.

6. Check the pull cord just to make sure its not worn.

7. Go fishin.

Lots of other stuff like adjusting the choke etc., but get her runnin first, rest will come.

By doing it this way, you know that the basics are covered, new plugs, etc. so if it frigs up you at least know what it ain't.

Hope this helps.

:mrgreen:
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

don't forget the water muffs before you try firing it up!!!
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Awesome advice everyone, thanks!

I didn't realize that there was oil inside a 2 stroke...ya learn something new everyday!

But what are water muffs???
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

u put the water muffs on your lower end over your water intake so you can run your motor in your driveway without harming your motor...
idle to low rpms only...

hope this helps...