Simcoe report June 11

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Simcoe report June 11

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well Went to Simcoe saturday. Got there around 2 P.M. Was really humid. We decided to launch on Hwy 11 over at the marina near the Bridge.

20 minute ride to the lake. And I gotta tell you. All that slop and lilly pads really made me drool.

I have never worked slop and will do so for the first time this year. Look forward to it.

Did a few casts in the slop last year and raised my first bass and was totally estatic.

Anywasy. The weeds have yet to grow in. I tried to find the area I fished at last year that produced good numbers with no luck.

All I got was a follow of a under one pound pike. Also a Bass(not sure), so moved out of the area.

All I caught was 2 nice sized rock bass and snagged a jumbo perch! Which was followed in by another 25. Wierd......

The place was infested with perch. They were everywhere.

My dad caught absolutely nothing. As far as I am concerned I was skunked also because i caught no game fish.

I dont know simcoe that well(fished 4-5 times max) and only fished it once this early but was dissappointed. Where are all the pike??

I know they go deep in late July and August but where are they now???

We were drifting in 8-9 FOW and accidentally drifted to a 4 FOW shoreline and my dad raised a 6+ lb LM. I kid you not. He wanted to catch it but explained to him, that it is spawning and hightailed it out of there.

MNR came By and asked us a couple of questions. I asked him whats going on with Pike populations? DO you guys think it is the weather or are Pike populations really hurting in Simcoe? I asked about the Musky program and they said they are working on it. I suggested More Pike and Pickeral stocking.

There were also a lot of BIG Yachts making huge waves and skidos everywhere. I wonder if they played a factor?