Question and opinions???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Question and opinions???

Post by DV_8 »

Last night I watched a fishing show on the french channel RDS. The two guys fishing were Marc Thorpe and Raymond Carignan. They were fishing for musky on the Ottawa near Montebello. During the episode, I watched Mr. Thorpe gaff three muskies. My question is: Is this an acceptable method of landing muskies. They were all gaffed through the bottom jaw and lifted into the boat. I do have to mention that they were properly held up in the horizontal position for the camera and seem to be all released succesfully. Comments please! Thx.
Last edited by DV_8 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Sounds nasty, but maybe through the bottom jaw, they don't encounter any / many blood vessels. :?:

Personally, though? I don't like it. But I'm no expert, so I'll leave the education that I'm sure will come to some of our frequently posting 'lunge nuts.

PS: just saw a HUGE musky in a photo being vertically hung for the pic.

(EDIT: this was from Musky Hunter mag; not here on line).

Maybe the guy kept it for a mount afterwards and knew it wouldn't matter. But if not...ugh...it's an easy enough behavior to modify, ya know? I think this goes for big PIKE, too.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

How old was the episode... i suspect it wasn't shot recently as gaffs were popular many years ago, but with c&r as it stands today, muskie anglers inparticular are very aware of methods used to boat and release thier catch.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

Marc is a longtime guide on the Ottawa ... ask him yourself about using a gaff.

marcthorpe@msn.com

I'm sure he'd be happy to reply.
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

John,

The show was shot last summer (2004)
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

On another RDS sponsored show, Chasse et Pêche, I've observed Jean Pagé mishandle almost every trout he catches. For someone in the business, he sets a very poor example. My email to RDS and Pagé received no response.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Tomcat I think mr. page has a problem breathing!!! I can't stand the guy. He must know somebody in the hunting and fishing business to have that job . Because all he does on that show is try to get business for outfitters. He doesn't show the public how to fish .ararrarararraghhh
I can't stand him
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Personally, in my opinion, a gaff (if used correctly) is a great way to land big Muskie safely. Very little damage occures unless the angler lets the Muskie thrash with its full wieght on the gaff.

I hand land my Muskie with gloves always by the tail first. Nets and giant lures with multiple trebles plus a thrashing fish does far more damage.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I've never seen a gaff used before and am interested in seeing it. I think I'll play around on the interweb and try to find a clip of someone gaffing a muskie. If i find anything I'll let you all know.

MW
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Here's a neat article I just found about the different landing methods that can be used for muskies. I htink the main points that are being thrown out there is that most methods CAN be good once the person who is doing the landing has the proper technique to do so. Interesting read. Take a peak.

MW

http://allmuskie.com/articles/article16.html
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

Good article MuskieWannabe.

Like the article says, all methods are good as long as they are done properly. I guess it's a matter of preference. I found gaffing the quickest. You can bring the fish out of the water quickly and remove the hook fast and easily, take a quick pic and release the fish in less than a minute. With a net, you risk the lure being caught in the net and wrapped from the fish thrashing around in it and it takes more time to un-hook. Same with a craddle. On the show one of the muskies got the lure caught in the mesh and twisted around. They had trouble freeing it, but with the magic of television they cut the part out that took time to free the fish :roll: I guess it all comes down to common sense. :?
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Interesting posts and thread. And I hope you won't mind, DV_8, but this thread is a good opportunity to ask our muskie experts something I feel I need some tips on:

How BEST do you land (boat) a muskie to remove the hook(s) and to take a quick picture?

Both tiger muskies we caught last week were attempting to thrash. I took a wet rag and gripped them behind the head while I removed the hooks (they were still in the net). But I know I can do a better and faster job firstly with more experience, but perhaps with some advice from others on this site.

I did pinch down all but a couple of barbs on the Bomber Long A I was using that day. I feel 9 hooks are ludicrous. And we use a rubber net, that is wide and shallow. I think that's easier on a fish than nylon mesh.

But subduing the fish in a safe manner is the area I need the most help with. Hands that are shaking from an adrenaline rush don't help, either.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Here's JoeOD subduing a small chinook.....

He's using a gift from Crash. I dared him to smell it. :lol: I'll let you decide whether he did or not from his expression. :lol:
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

gaffing

Post by g unis »

theres contoversey on all ways. mr. thorpe is experienced at gaffing. in calm water to me its fine . to a novice the gaff can be very detrimental. cradles once again are fine in calm waters with a shallow sided boat. here on st clair we net the fish, with a larger sided boat its the only appropiate way to handle musky. good cutters fasr revival and away she goes
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

re

Post by BBRich »

Geeze you musky anglers are serious..

Whenever I get incidental muskies (I say incidental because I certainly can't target the things), I just tail them and cradle them in the boat, or simply pull the hook out while the fish is still in the water. So far they've all been successful releases and my hands haven't been bloodied.

Pike are much slimier, slipperier affair.. :lol: