Last truck Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Last truck Question

Post by Johnny Bass »

OK> I finally have a truck picked out. One question. If water is leaking from the tail pipe. What does that mean????
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

I think thats normal. Just some condensation more than likely. Its not more than a few drips though right...???
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

It means it is running well.
The catalytic converter is turning the carbon monoxide into H20.
Once the pipe warms up, the water will go away.

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

As long as it is water its ok. If it smells like coolant a gasket is leaking.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

It looks like water to me. But I will double check. The Air conditioning is not working. They said they will fix it but I have a feeling it will be a temporary fix. It also has been sitting for 1 year. But the engine purrs.....

I have another one to chose from but is in worse condition.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Put your hand over the tailpipe for a few seconds then smell your hand. If it smells like coolant there maybe head gasket problems. Otherwise, this is normal on a cold engine, apart from the cat thing, moisture collects in the pipes and always has, thats why mufflers rot so quick on vehicles used on short runs all the time. Take it out for a good run and the water drips should stop.
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

It is difficult to temporarily fix an AC system. There are pretty strict regulations when it comes to dealing with refridgerant. If you find the AC is knackered again after you buy it, you may want to inform them that you will be reporting them to Environment Canada. It will get fixed properly in a hurry.

Where are you buying the truck from?
Icemanstan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

it just fine

Post by Icemanstan »

Everyone above is right in what the say. And you don't need to put you hands on the tail pipe if your gasket was leaking you would see smoke coming out of the tail pipe like if there were no tomorrow .
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well thanks for the Advice guys. I have made my purchase. I decided to take everyones advice and go 4x4. I'll have pics soon.

I'm just worried that the 1 year it was sitting for does cause me any problems. The car is Certified and emission tested though.
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

toss some gasline antifreeze/injector cleaner in the gas tank, some type of fuel conditioner/cleaner anyways- most people seem to forget that you have to take care of the gas when you let it sit for a long time... also get some throttle body cleaner (or carb cleaner if it's got a carb) and use it... if there's any carbon/rust inside the cylinders/intake runners it'll clean most of it out... and of course the typical fluid flushes/changes (oil/coolant/tranny flush are good ideas) :)

The hardest part of buying a vehicle that's been sitting for so long, is that the maintenance for it all has to be done at once when you get it, hopefully the previous owner "prepped" it for it's long rest.... :)
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I hope so too spanky. The car absolutely purrs. and the tail pipe is dripping water so I hear it is a sign of the engine being properly tuned.

The gas lines should be covered with the certification.

I dont think it has a carborator. Its a 1995 Nissan pathfinder. with 143,000 K.
ontariodreaming
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ontariodreaming »

Good truck Johnny. I had a 97 Pathfinder, it was a very reliable truck. Wish I had not got rid of it. Got a 2005 to haul around the new boat. Sure has plenty of power for towing.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I hope it serves me well. I narrowed it down to 2 pathfinders. But this one was in way better condition and really opens up when you step on the gas.