Creek Muskie Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Creek Muskie Report

Post by steve-hamilton »

Got up with my neighbour and hit the river for 6:30 am this morning...

Drove for less than 40 minutes. Parked. Then walked for about 10 minutes to the river edge. The water was an emerald green colour, so i decided to go with a 6lbs flouro lead. Tied on a 4" Green Power Grub, and casted it with a 1/16 jighead.

Found the first pool that looked 'fishy'. Let the bait drop into the current, and immediately i saw a silver bullet attack it from the rocky shore.

Fish on! First cast....A beautiful fight on the ultra-light i had borrowed...felt almost like a trout, just like my neighbour said. Jumped twice, thought it sure looked like a muskie...Got her in, and sure enough, my first creek muskie, on my first cast!

continued to fish for a few more hours, covering about a dozen or so pools, and managed three more muskie!!! (all about the same size).

I didn't take any more fish pics, as they were extremely delicate fish, and i didn't want to even take them out of the water....

What a great morning!

If you recognize the spot, please, keep it to yourself. My neighbour asked i not post where it was....and i please ask you of the same.

I plan on trying some minnows in the future...maybe find some bigger fish. (there really isn't any access to much bigger water anywhere close)

i even managed a nice smallie and huge rock bass outta this pool, one we stopped at on the way home.

Michael
Participant
Participant

Post by Michael »

Nice report...cute pike.

Thanks.

Michael
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

all four had six pores....because i was skeptical going in, i thought to count.

either way, fun times.
Michael
Participant
Participant

Post by Michael »

Hmmm....maybe hybrids?!!
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

Definately a fun place to fish and a favourite of quite a few of us.... it seems astho all the fish in there are the same size tho, never seen anything bigger than 12" taken outta there.... here's a pic of one a guy i know caught a couple weeks back...

I think we decided they were grass pike.... you know where to read about it more Steve and if you can't find anything from searching, give me a PM and i'll send you the name of the spot :lol:

none-the-less it's a great spot for smallies/carp aswell as other game fish :)
bassmasta
Participant
Participant

Post by bassmasta »

Last edited by bassmasta on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i guess we were lucky...no bugs when we were there...

spanky, do u have a pic of the underside of the fish?

i'm not sure when i'll head back, but when i do, i'll try to get a pic of the pores...as i did count six...

either way, as i said, fun on light gear...
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

As soon as I saw that picture I thought it was a tiger muskie, look at the rounded tail as well as it's color. Then I blew it up and it looked like a pike fingerlink with bars like Michael said, but if the pores are more then 4 per side then it's got to be hybrids. How bout chain pikerals how many pores do they have?
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sounds like a great time.....fishing small areas like that can be tricky and rewarding.....

To me....they are pike.....smaller pike....much like Jale6666's dad's.....kind of a different pattern to em......but still pike.... :lol: :lol:

RJ
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

Steve- i can't find pics of the bottom of the fish, i did however find 2 more pics of fish from the same area.

of you head on over to NFN you can ask IBleedCanadian, he's the one who caught all the fish iv'e posted, he may have somo others laying around somewhere.

bassmasta- Spinnerbaits are rarely used in there, for us anyways, IBC has his "secret lure" and i'll use anything from senko's, to HJ's, Bomber long-A's, X-Raps and even spoons... i still haven't caught anything in there, but we only fish the lower part of the 1 pool (believe it's the pool below where Steve's friend is standing on the rock at the top of the falls). I've been told numerous times about there being 30"+ fish in there, but have yet to see any pictures of them.... not to say they aren't there, but i haven't seen any. Now i do havea sneaking suspicion that way up by the BGT in the "lake" up there there's a bunch of huge pike roaming around... and even below the last lock aswell.

If you wanna send me some tips to help myself and IBC get into these bigger fish, i'll more than happily listen and try them out!!!.... it's only a 5min drive from my place... and yes, the bugs absolutely suck butt in there when we finally get a hatch!!!
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

those last two pictures are Definately Pike.

Either way, as i said, next time i go in, i'll take pictures of the pores....