Truck Advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Go with a 4X4. Once you have one you will wonder how you lived without one and will swear you have one for the rest of your life.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Wow. Seems like we have mixed opinions. It is no doubt that 4x4 is the best. But all older vehicles I looked at, did not have 4x4 operational. I may still have to shop around. But I drove it around and this thing had some decent power......

Plus, if I buy a 4x4 on a older model and it breaks down, we are looking at big bucks. I may have to spend a bit more and get a newer model. Yes I am cheap.lol

Well thanks for all the Replies.... I will consider all opinions.
ontariodreaming
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ontariodreaming »

Go with 4x4 if you can. I had to bite to bullet and buy a boat and SUV at the same time. :cry:
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

For those of you at Westmeath I am sure you will remember Big-O pulling everyones boat out who had vehicles with front wheel drive. I got stuck on the Cumberland launch years ago before I bought my first SUV and I had to get pulled out by a guy with a 4 x 4. Thankfully he showed up when he did. That said, if you are always going to asphalt or concrete launchs and your boat isn't too heavy you"probably" won't have to worry. I bought my first SUV in 92 and I will never go back.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

From the replies it appears that there are lovers of both but all agree that 4 is best. All responses will have been based on some particular experience, mine was, it maybe that the type of boat ramp you use the most may sway your decision, but I would suggest, no matter what choice you make in the end, the type of tires on the vehicle will have a significant effect on bad launches - if you are getting the seller to safety the vehicle, maybe you could do a deal on some good all terrain tires and not normal road tires (which suck on wet ramps)

Good hunting
Pinnochio Fisherman
Participant
Participant

Post by Pinnochio Fisherman »

I've got a 4x4 Jeep Liberty right now - just after having a full-size chev pick-up. With either, I've found that most launches in the area rarely require 4x4, 2wd does the trick and it all comes down to driver skill and the condition of the launch. The advantage of the 4x4 is that I can launch anywhere, anytime - including dirt launches during rain storms, etc...

That, and 4x4 makes all the difference when it comes to winter....
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey I never thought of that. If it rains and the groung turns to mud. you are screwed. Front or rear wheel drive.........Even if it rains the heavy the day before....

More than Likely I will invest more money and go with a 4x4. But dont 4x4's in older models break down alot???

Well, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.