Truck Advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Truck Advice

Post by Johnny Bass »

Ok. Guys. I need a truck to pull my boat. i have spotted a 1991 mazda MPV with a rebuilt trani. The thing is in great condition. Its at 200 k though and it is rear wheel drive. Is that good or bad for pulling boats out of the water? What if your back tires get stuck in mud????

The price is right though. What are your thoughts?
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

MVP=junk, been there done that.

Go with front wheel drive or 4X4.
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Agreed with MM :!:

Front or all/4wheel is the way to go.

If you go with a 2 wheel and get stuck at the launch, you'd be up !@#$ creek.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

many times i've launched my boat with my front wheel CAR, after watching a rear wheel truck/suv spin their tires on the launch.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I can honestly say, I looked at MPV's about 10-12 years ago, or should I say the Mrs looked at 'em :roll: . I was shocked at the bad reviews back then...

My advice...stay away, especially a rebuild :!:
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I have had a rear wheel drive for many years and also towed with front wheel drive. All I can say is that the rear wheel drive is much better for towing heavier trailers. I have seen many front drive cars dig into boat launches because all the weight is over the rear axel and thus no traction. With any vehicle, you have to know how to drive it and flooring the peddle on any car or truck will cause the wheels to spin on a wet surface.
With any older vehicle make sure you check with your machanic to make sure that it can handle the stress. Also might want to put on a transmission cooler.
Hope this helps
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

All I have ever towed with were rear wheel drive vehicles, I guess that must make me old. LOL I believe they are better for pulling boats out because of the better traction, the weight of the trailler is on the rear of the vehicle. A front wheel drive car or truck is like trying to pull a boat uphill on a wet surface in reverse, that's a guaranteed burnout.

There is no need for a 4 wheel drive truck, I pull my boat untill mid December with my rear wheel drive truck without any difficultires. I do carry salt just in case of ici ramp due to weather or idiots not keeping the ramps dry after mid November. Never got to use it last year and only once the year before and I am out there almost every day.

I guess if they stop making rear wheel drive trucks I'll have to waste the extra money for a 4x4.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Don't know if this will help, but, here is a link to an auction place that does Crown Assets Disposal of government vehicles. Many times there are 4x4's, or larger size pick-ups.

North Toronto Vehicle Auction
3230 Thomas St.
Innisfil (Barrie), ON
L9S 3W5
Phone: (705) 436-4111
Fax: (705) 436-3936
Email: Matt Rispin (mrispin@ntva.ca)

Please contact the above firm for further information regarding Federal Government Vehicle Auctions.
Last edited by Pints on Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

I've pulled my boat with both a front wheel drive car and van and have never had any problems pulling it out of the water (weighs about 2,000 lbs) mind you I was also very selective of the ramps I used.

I traded the car and got a new 4x4 truck this year and what a difference!
I had it down in Quinte on opening and the launch we used wasn't concrete and I had the exhaust buried on the truck and the water was half way up the front tires. In four wheel drive pulled it out like I was in my driveway. No Difference.

I personally wouldn't pull without four wheel drive again. You can launch at any launch ... doesn't matter.

WK
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

nearly lost my van in the Ottawa while trying to launch the boat in a strong shore breeze - sold the van bought a pathfinder. You definately lose traction with a trailer on the back of a fwd. rwd is better and 4wd is best, you will also get better ground clearance with a truck or 4wd. Just get the vehicle checked out by a good mechanic.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I drive a rear wheel drive and i have difficulties launching in the winter. I usually gotta get a coule of guys to jump in the back. Everytime i'm stuck spinning on the ramp, I curse and swear that my next truck will be 4 wheel drive. :lol:
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re

Post by BBRich »

Yeah, rear wheel drive sucks. If you get icy roads in the winter you're screwed too. Go front or 4WD like everyone else said.
Tribal Legend 1
Participant
Participant

Post by Tribal Legend 1 »

WATERKAN wrote:
I personally wouldn't pull without four wheel drive again. You can launch at any launch ... doesn't matter.

WK

.....as long as you have someone with you that can back the trailer, right WK? :wink:

8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

TL1
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

MPV

Post by something_fishy »

I have a 93 mpv AWD. It makes a difference.I have tried the rear wheel drive and it sucks. The all wheel drive is the way to go. It switches from rear to all wheel and has a centre diff so you can even switch to 4x4. Hard on gas, but is great for towing and getting out of mud and stuff.

Chris
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

I typically launch in 2wd useless I get stuck. To date, I have had to use 4wd twice. I am glad I had/have it.

Even when I am not towing in the winter, you can't beat 4wd in the snow. Good tires are also a must.

Mike