InFisherman, FishHawk and OOS photos

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Should we lead by example with OOS fish?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:15 am

FishHawk will have an up-front policy of not publishing OOS photos (in the same spirit as In-Fisherman)
58%
FishHawk will publish OOS photos
42%

Total votes: 64

Michael
Participant
Participant

InFisherman, FishHawk and OOS photos

Post by Michael »

InFisherman has a clear-cut policy of not publishing photos of OOS fish. I don't think they're in any way affiliated with PETA. In implementing such a policy, do you feel they are "looking down upon" or being "judge and jury" toward anglers who catch and photo OOS fish? :wink:

Do "we" (the Fish-Hawk community) want to simply reflect the broader culture of fishing (the good the bad and the ugly)?

Do we want to lead by example (like In-Fisherman)?

Sounds like a good poll topic...
Last edited by Michael on Fri May 27, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I think OOS Fish pictures is like cheating. The fish was not caught leagally in season so posting pictures is cheating in my view.
Big Fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Big Fisher »

Rex Mundi wrote:I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I think OOS Fish pictures is like cheating. The fish was not caught leagally in season so posting pictures is cheating in my view.
Cheating at what?? Taking a picture doesnt change the fact you caught an OOS fish...
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i made a post, but deleted it.

my only comment that should have stayed was, i hope this place doesn't turn into a place where you have to worry about every post you make, due to the 'post police'.
Big Fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Big Fisher »

steve-hamilton wrote:i made a post, but deleted it.

my only comment that should have stayed was, i hope this place doesn't turn into a place where you have to worry about every post you make, due to the 'post police'.
too late..

I think a 3rd choice should be added..

"Don't care..."
canoedude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by canoedude »

I don't think anyone wants that to happen - this is referring to a very specific issue that has come up OVER and OVER again. Personally, I hope it is resolved and that there is a policy developed either way. The discussions are always circular in nature, don't resolve anything and usually become inflammatory.

I'd like to see FH.net take a position (again, either way - it's not my message board), articulate that position in the rules section, and then have everyone live by them (e.g., leave those alone who post pics OR not allow members to post photographs of OOS fish).

Canoedude
Big Fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Big Fisher »

canoedude wrote:

I don't think anyone wants that to happen - this is referring to a very specific issue that has come up OVER and OVER again. Personally, I hope it is resolved and that there is a policy developed either way. The discussions are always circular in nature, don't resolve anything and usually become inflammatory.

I'd like to see FH.net take a position (again, either way - it's not my message board), articulate that position in the rules section, and then have everyone live by them (e.g., leave those alone who post pics OR not allow members to post photographs of OOS fish).

Canoedude

Good idea...
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I thought there was already a set of guidelines :roll:
http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=2548
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Posting OOS pics definately seems to stir a normally good natured group of anglers into taking sides and debating the issue to death! I for one would consent to a gentlemans agreement between the more frequent posters which will include most who will read this, that we abstain from any future such postings. Making it a rule will only lead to newbies, youngsters and others being lynched by vigilantes enforcing the rule. Lets continue to educate and bury this thing once and for all! Then the only OOS pics you see, will give those who wish the opportunity to steer the angler differently through the use of the PM!!
Martin
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

fishforfun wrote:Posting OOS pics definately seems to stir a normally good natured group of anglers into taking sides and debating the issue to death! I for one would consent to a gentlemans agreement between the more frequent posters which will include most who will read this, that we abstain from any future such postings. Making it a rule will only lead to newbies, youngsters and others being lynched by vigilantes enforcing the rule. Lets continue to educate and bury this thing once and for all! Then the only OOS pics you see, will give those who wish the opportunity to steer the angler differently through the use of the PM!!
Martin
Amen
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Bottom line....people can't leave people alone.....if it's not pics...its how its held....what you caught it on.....etc.......

Just yesterday we had everyones on the sites morals ripped thru the mud because someone mentioned using live bait for muskies....you've got to be kidding me...

I'm personally so tired of hearing people chastisizing others....noone here is a Saint....and who made everyone else their judge?...I just don't get it....

I could start so many threads about what I think is wrong with what's goin on.....but I prefer to talk about fishing...and not the "politics" that surrounds it...

Good Luck to all who get out to fish this weekend....and when you are out there....think for a minute....and perhaps a new perspective on the big picture will arrive....hope so....

RJ
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

That aboy RJ GOTCHA loud and clear!! :D :D :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

This Subect is old and tiresum...we have beaten it to death, again and again....So lets drop it. I'll be so glad when bass season opens....and all this poop will stop :evil: :evil:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

big-o wrote:This Subect is old and tiresum...we have beaten it to death, again and again....So lets drop it. I'll be so glad when bass season opens....and all this poop will stop :evil: :evil:
DITTO!

OOS Pics well if it bothers some oh well... how about those guys who were caught with 40 oos bass in their possession... how about that muskie shot where the fish is being held wrong... how about those that think tournements are wrong.. those that... well ths list is endless really.

oos pics are not illegal there's nothing stating that clearly in the regs.. until there is i have no problem with those that do it.

So do we also ban photos of muskie held vertically... etc.. come on guys get real!
Big Fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Big Fisher »

Couldnt have said it any better RJ...