Anyone ever tried changing ....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Anyone ever tried changing ....

Post by Northern King »

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried changing there steel downrigger cable to powerpro??? I was thinking of trying this to get rid of some of the hum from the cable. Is ther powerpro strong enough to handle a downrigger ball??? I would probably use the biggest size they make if I were to try changing to power pro.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Downrigging without the hum! :shock:

I've heard of guys doing it, I just stick to the cable. I like cable because I also clip my stacker clips to it. Also, when the fleas arrive, you'll have a nightmare with the power pro.

But if you were fishing inland and fleas aren't issue, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

changing

Post by g unis »

good luck. the u.s. army has bought up the heavy power pro for trip wires in iraq. i could not believe it but i heard its true
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

G unis:

If they get that power pro tangled around their ankles they def. ain't gonna bite it off :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

I'm with Markus if the wire ain't singing I'm not downrigging. Something to try though,you never know maybe it'll produce more fish!
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

I've pulled people out of the ditch with it so i can't see why it wouldn't work for a 10lb cannonball..... :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Jammmer13,
I guess it would work on a downrigger is you use it as your tow cable :D

I guess I will have a hard time finding it is the army took it all. I may just stick with a cable for now but I was just thinking of trying it just to see how it would work on the downrigger.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

When the cable starts to sing....I know I'm at the right speed for Salmon, Most Steel down rigger cable is a 150 LBS test, it's that strong for a reason, I'll stick to the real thing.......good luck if you are going to use it on your rigger :D