Fishing report for the week

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishing report for the week

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well guys I'll make this short and sweet. went out last friday. Decided to hit The Oshawa GM plant. Excelant for pike on the opener. Well I was off by a couple of weeks and the pike had already moved out.

I walked all the way to the main lake and nothing. Saw nothing but carps every where. There were hundreds right near the parking lot but ddi not seem more than 15 LBS. Closer you got 5the the lake the bigger they got.

Then got bored and headed for a local trout stream. It was hard to find. They rerouted the whole street, built a bridge and the stream is more like a little brook now. May main pool was no more than 2-3 feet max

They had cut all the trees along the shore line for miles. Place was almost unrecognizable.There were still a few
Trout in the stream, But I forgot my waiters and and floats. Tried to drift some flies but they moved away from them.

Next day went Fishing at Waubaushene pier. Chucked lures all day. Nothing. My buddy had minnows and worms. Nothing. Fishing is way behind this year. Headed to another river for channel cats near by. Caught nothing but 3 bullheads and 1 - 10+lb carp. Didn't even give a good fight. had it is in less than 2 minutes. Disappointing but the water was really cold. Pictures coming in a week or so.

Thursday headed for Simcoe. Fished Cooks bay. Went to a Pike Hot spot . Never fished Simcoe in the spring and was targetting monster pike. I had a Over size musky Spinner bait. My dad hooked a 1lb smallie. I then hooked a 5+(easy) lb smallie. really nice battle. Then I hooked one almost 4 lbs. Pictures coming. We then decided to stay deep all day to avoid the bass. No challenge hooking trophy bass in the spring. Stayed in 10 ft all day and caught NOTHING. Fishred from 10:30 tp 6. We forgot our lunch box at home so we called it a day. We were starving. We also tried to troll in 14-20 feet of water. Not much fish on the radar and almost all fish were slightly suspended of bottom.(about a foot).

Almost everyone we talked to caught nothing except 1 guy that said he hooked 2(I assume Pike).

Maybe I dont know Simcoe very well but the fishing was slow.The Marine guy told me that fishing was still slow and behind even before I launched. Give it a week or two.

I'd try smaller lakes that warm up quicker for steady action this long weekend.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Well that's fishing Johnny. You gave er a good go though.

No cats at our spot yet either. I'll check again next week.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Yes but fishing is Unusally slow this year. All I have to say is downsize your lures and retrieve extra slow. Either that or go live bait.(which I hardly ever use)

It seems fishing is behind so for the next week I will try to hit shallow bodies of water that have warmed up quicker for aggressive fish.....

BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

re

Post by BBRich »

Fishing was definitely HOT here in Dover last night. Lots of catfish/carp hits off the pier at night, as well as an unknown big fish that was lost (didn't feel like a carp) and a couple of pike bite-offs. All on minnows right off the pier. So the fishing should be picking up anytime.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey Rich. Yes with live bait the situation is a little different. But I hardly use live bait. The fish have not been attacking lures as aggressively this year. Usually by this time they are really smaking the lures, but the waters are still a bit cold because of the extended winter. Another week or 2 and fishing will be smoking hot.

Until then I have catfish on my mind

:D