Hand Held Nets

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tylercurt
Participant
Participant

Hand Held Nets

Post by tylercurt »

OK now I know I need a net , caught first Pike of the year with the youngster and it had to be over 10 lbs, he took a few pics while it was in the water then I grabbed the leader to hoist it aboard and splash the biggest fish I ever caught was gone (not that I was going to keep it anyway), First Pike my son ever saw up close as well.

My Question is what is the best net to get , someone mentioned rubber net to me before , just wondering?
Thanks
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

My preference is a rubber coated net, as opposed to a solid rubber net. They are much lighter, which can be a factor when the handle is extended fully, and they don'e move as much water when you have to scoop a fish. Both rubber and rubber coated are much better for the fish than the traditional cotton if you plan on releasing them.

Ed
RV
Participant
Participant

Post by RV »

I have a LOKI rubber coated net with a square handle which is great when you extend the handle the handle does'nt turn ,it extends three sizes.
red_devil
Participant
Participant

Post by red_devil »

To land a pike like that I suggest a cradle. I had mine custom made by CEDAR LANDING NETS and its amazing. Problem with cradles are their expensive. Most people like rubber but I find that fish can spring outta them. If you want one for big game go either a cradle or a mesh, extra wide gap net. For all-around game such as bass perch, id go with the smaller brim mesh nets. I know mesh is old school but im yet to have problems with it.

Last year we had a 15 lb+ Pike and couldn't fit it in the net. Just luckliy got it in especially since it was in a derby. Since than I was lucky enough to aquire my cradle and I can safely say, its easier fittin a big pike into one of those. But chances are you just need a standard size net. I prefer mesh, most prefer rubber now.