Friday fishing report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Friday fishing report

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well Was bored friday. The sun was shinning so I ran a few errands and decided to go do some shore fishing at one of my secret spots.

This spot always produces for me. Its the kind of place you will Always catch at least 2 fish a day if you put in the hours. I have caught tons of pike there but the largest was 6-7 pounds. But I have heard of someone hooking a 23 lb in the spring on a heddon torpedo. But the water used to be at least 3 feet deeper. Who knows...There are HUGE smallies there but only in the spring. I have caught one close to if not more than 7 lbs. I have also hooked the hugest LM bass I have ever seen there. I fought him in deep water, brought him on to a rock shelf. If was splashing like a salmon in one place. It did a partial jump and spit my hook out. This mouth could have engulfed my head. Never buy $1 dollar spinner baits at the Spring shows. The hooks are puny.......There are also walleye there in the spring. Not common but when you hook them they are large. I hooked a 10lber with one eye on a clown coloured husky Jerk. Theres crappies, Dogfish,carp,gar pike, Rainbows in the spring, pretty much anything you can think of. I got a surprise a few years back in the spring about this time of year. A MUSKIE! It was 7-8 pounds gave me a fight and a half. I brought it to shore, had it partially beached and it STILL got away! But I caught the same one the next year during the same time of year and landed it. SO there are muskies in there In early may.

Well sorry about the long introduction.lol

Got there around 1. Made numerous casts with a husky Jerk and caught nothing. I said to myself, maybe the water is still too cold???But people catch them in colder water than this. So I decided to throw on a willaims wobbler(large size)with red strip for some monster pike.

I have no confidence in these baits but I know they work well in the right conditions. So was covering water, Got my first hit. Ste the hook. My first snag and my first lure of the season lost :evil: Oh ya I lost a jig and grub before that on a previous day.

Then decided to put on another williams wobbler. I have about 4-5 in assorted colours. I go with silver with blue strip. The only one that has produced for me is the Thin fish.

Anyways, I cast I feel a hit, But just seemed to nible on it. probably a crappie or something small. But still got my hopes up. Where there is small fish there are larger fish close by.

I cast again, I get a hit, it was on for only a few seconds. I'd say it was a bass, pike or crappie or something. No more than 1 pound. Sure enough, my next cast I hook a slightly under 1LB pike.

Then I go back to the only deep section of this puny bay. I put on a shad-rap. My lure for pickeral in the area. I'm casting didn't get anything for give or take an hour. Then a huge mini hurricane struck, it only lasted about 2-3 minutes but it was fierce. And the current picked up. Now I'm thinking the water is up a foot. maybe I should get the next size up shap rap so it goes a little deeper because the pickeral are hugging bottom in the day. WHile I'm thinking that I stop my lure right at shore and doesn't a Hug shadow appear and INHALE my 2 inch ashad rap? ITS A HUGE MUSKY! I couldn't set the hook because he inhaled it. SO was gently keeping resistence. he was flooping on the surface. I doubt he knew he was caught yet. I reached for my net to net him and the hook popped off! :evil:

She was one of those purple, green, red, Musky, not the banded, spotted or tiger.

I'd say 10-15lbs easy, low 40's. I wouldn't be surprised if its the same musky that shows up every season. I haven't fished there for 2 years because I have been renting boats but apparently he/she grew.

:shock:

Thats why there were no bites. Now about an hour later he/she showed up again. But would just follow the bait and swim under it when it came to the surface. This happened twice. this one looked close to 50 inches and had white marks on the top of his back. Reallt beaten up.

Then it went dead for an hour. Then I got a HUGE hit. I'm thinking Muskie. I real it in? Its a 1/2 pound pike.lol It litterally swallowed my 6 inch rappala. I had to kill the pike just to retrieve my lure.I was hoping the musky would smash it but no luck. To make a long story short. Caught a few more hammer handles(biggest a little over 1lb.) caught a smallie 2lb. probably one of the smallest I have caught there. And called it a day.

I have a feeling next year She/he will be even bigger :shock:
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re

Post by BBRich »

Sounds like a sweet spot you got there!

Also sounds like an exciting day of fishing. Thanks for the in-depth report, better luck landing her next time!
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Ya. If your ever in the area. I'll bring you Rich :) I wonder if she still is around. Something tells me she will be there every year just waiting for me, beginning of may and she'll be bigger :shock:
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Oh and another cool thing was I seen a medium sized minnow right next to the dock that looked EXACTLY like the shap rap I was using. Colour, latteral line, size and everything.