Oh Joy Oh Joy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BobbyJordan
Participant
Participant

Re: Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by BobbyJordan »

Isn't great that we live in a place where we all have the opportunity and the means to enjoy the amazing waterways We have? Everyone is going to have their views on what's the right and wrong way to use them...I bet there are more than a few people out there that don't want ANY boats on the water, whether they are sparkly or not!

At the end of the day we are all going to need to co-exist out there AND we all need to do our part to make sure that we continue to do our part to maintain these wonderful waterways for whatever we as individuals prefer to spend our time on them doing (fishing, cruising, jet skiing, paddling, swimming, etc).

Do tournaments have an impact! Sure, but they also take tremendous steps to minimize the impact to ensure that the resource will be there long term.

30 trailers at a ramp may be an easy thing to point to as "overuse" of the water, but only because we don't normally see that number of boat trailers at the same time (and we are fortunate for that). Drive by any marina on the Ottawa and I bet you will count more than 30 cruisers in the slips on any given day. There are lots of people using the water every day.

We have some amazing fisheries here and it has been our collective of responsible anglers, whether tournament guys or weekend warriors that have maintained them this way over the last few decades of responsible fishing.

At the end of the day we all just want to ensure that this continues for us all to enjoy. Regardless of your view on the original post, I think we can all agree on that. I also think there are much bigger risks to our collective ability to do this in the future than those that tournament fishing present. Asian Carp are apparently in Lake Ontario, and imagine what would happen if one of those tankers that ran aground in the St. Lawrence started spewing millions of gallons of oil into the seaway (instead of sugar)?

Be kind out there, respect the other people that are also enjoying the same water as you and try to do your part to keep what we have.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

RJ,

This has gone on long enough that I am no longer mad about the original post and have gone into discussion mode. While you are right that I didn't account for pre fishing, it still doesn't really touch what was in the original post. His main concern there was there were so many boats on the body of water he was fishing 3 weekends in a row and the less than stellar curtesy shown towards him and fellow anglers from the "bass guys". There are too many unknowns regarding the courtesy thing as for all we know at this point is that haulin bass could have been sitting in the middle of the channel where he didn't belong.

Fishing as a whole is a sport that has grown with more and more people doing it all of the time. IMO it really doesn't matter if it is a tournament or just weekend warriors. If the tournament scene was to be banned altogether, I bet you would still see the same type of pressure because these guys just love to fish.

As for the follow up posts, maybe it has come to the point where tournaments should be better regulated. I don't necessarily see it that way but many do by the sounds of it.

If you want to discuss further, a lot of us will be fishing the MS Bassin tournament so we can picking up there if you want.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:
As for the follow up posts, maybe it has come to the point where tournaments should be better regulated. I don't necessarily see it that way but many do by the sounds of it.
Regulated by who's standards?
I don't see any need whatsoever for tournaments to be regulated.

Best post I've read here on this subject is from Bobby Jordan.
BobbyJordan wrote:Isn't great that we live in a place where we all have the opportunity and the means to enjoy the amazing waterways We have? Everyone is going to have their views on what's the right and wrong way to use them...I bet there are more than a few people out there that don't want ANY boats on the water, whether they are sparkly or not!

Be kind out there, respect the other people that are also enjoying the same water as you and try to do your part to keep what we have.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

MNR? Municipalities?

Like I wrote, I don't think it needs to come to this personally but if we have people who believe this is the case, maybe it is time. Maybe even self regulation where tournament series get together and draw for specific bodies of water. I Don't know how well it would go over or even if you could get all of the local clubs on the same page but these are just ideas and I hope it never gets to this point.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Fishing Rod wrote:So back to the original post.

You want a public place all to yourself?

I'll start taking my weeds home. Should I ring them out first?
I'm pretty sure that there is a hidden law somwhere,that you can't transport fresh weeds from a lake to a landfill,, :lol: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin',the rideau river from Manotick to Kars,is probably at the lowest point that I have seen it in many years,for decent and consistent bass fishing,and I really don't think that bass boats or tournaments are the issue. It's actually a sorry azzed spectacle, and a virtual clinic of "how not to operate a boat",ignorance and rudeness all rolled into one. I am not surprised that I have been approached 3 times in 5 weeks and been asked for my documents by police and game warden. Obviously they see a problem, to be out there in full enforcement mode,, And they don't appear to be targeting bass boats,and bass fishermen as an agenda.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Yep I've seen a few bass tourney guys who were rude. It happens occasionally. No, I'm not happy if a bass tournament happens to interfere with my fishing plans. But it is a shared resource.

By far the most self entitled bunch I have been are the waterfront land owners, many whom think all fishing should be banned.
My lake, how dare you fish in front of my private retreat, you are making Fluffy bark at you which is disturbing me while I eat my morning muslich, we should all paddle canoes and kayaks not motorized boats etc. We should all be vegan and go gluten free too.

Then Sunday afternoon they leave their fat 24 year old silver spoon entitled kid at the cottage with a case of beer bought by mommy while they jump in their Lexus and pollute their way back to the city, crank up the air conditioner in their 4000 sq ft home with a postage stamp manicured yard, while checking on their investments and how their favoured politician is doing in the polls.

Fellas - the biggest threat to our sport are not one another, it is the anti-fishing crowd.

If bass tournaments becomes more highly regulated so will all fishing. And the anti fishing lobby loves it when we are divided against one another.

Live and let live, enjoy the sport, be courteous. Respect the resource. Return the big ones to the lake, if any post release mortality, bring it home. Stand united in defence of our sport of fishing - it is our responsibility to protect this legacy for our children to enjoy.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Entitlement seems to be the biggest point the tourny anglers are rallying behind in this thread.

Rec anglers are entitled to keep a limit of bass for the frying pan each day too...maybe that's the answer to slow down the constant pressure on certain lakes. Lol
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

That's why I fish lakes that don't have boat launches. Better fishing, and very peaceful!
Fishing Rod
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishing Rod »

Out4trout wrote:Yep I've seen a few bass tourney guys who were rude. It happens occasionally. No, I'm not happy if a bass tournament happens to interfere with my fishing plans. But it is a shared resource.

By far the most self entitled bunch I have been are the waterfront land owners, many whom think all fishing should be banned.
My lake, how dare you fish in front of my private retreat, you are making Fluffy bark at you which is disturbing me while I eat my morning muslich, we should all paddle canoes and kayaks not motorized boats etc. We should all be vegan and go gluten free too.

Then Sunday afternoon they leave their fat 24 year old silver spoon entitled kid at the cottage with a case of beer bought by mommy while they jump in their Lexus and pollute their way back to the city, crank up the air conditioner in their 4000 sq ft home with a postage stamp manicured yard, while checking on their investments and how their favoured politician is doing in the polls.

Fellas - the biggest threat to our sport are not one another, it is the anti-fishing crowd.

If bass tournaments becomes more highly regulated so will all fishing. And the anti fishing lobby loves it when we are divided against one another.

Live and let live, enjoy the sport, be courteous. Respect the resource. Return the big ones to the lake, if any post release mortality, bring it home. Stand united in defence of our sport of fishing - it is our responsibility to protect this legacy for our children to enjoy.
As a waterfront home owner your "by far' comment I think is the most ignorant thing i have heard on this thread including the OP.
You see on idiot come running down his dock and acting like a asshat and you assume we are all the same.
This is the same stereotypical attitude that the OP had for tournament fisherman, and both are wrong.
If you read between the lines, it almost sounds like you are jealous.
Rant over.

The other comments I agree with.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I think this is a good conversation. I think anyone who actually thinks that tournaments don't have any negative effects is lying to themselves. Not only is it not good for the fish, but the pollution from the boats, garbage from using soft plastics ect.. all has an effect on the environment. That doesn't mean I'm against tournaments- but I do think that they should be more strictly regulated. Heck, even the way they hold the fish up at the weigh in isn't good for them (http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/manns ... bass.shtml). However, as seen in this thread accusing tournament bass anglers of any wrongdoings usually leads to people getting very defensive.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

As a waterfront home owner your "by far' comment I think is the most ignorant thing i have heard on this thread including the OP.
You see on idiot come running down his dock and acting like a asshat and you assume we are all the same.
This is the same stereotypical attitude that the OP had for tournament fisherman, and both are wrong.
If you read between the lines, it almost sounds like you are jealous.
Rant over.

The other comments I agree with.
You are entitled to your opinion. But as I follow this thread the OP has been accused of using blanket statements, and now being called ignorant. The personal hits I take with a grain of salt. I did not make these events up.If any one would care to point out a blanket statement that is not true and the ignorance aspects of the original post I would be glad to amend it
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Lenny wrote:However, as seen in this thread accusing tournament bass anglers of any wrongdoings usually leads to people getting very defensive.
And why shouldn't they?
I take offence when someone says tournament anglers stack dead fish under docks, etc..
I fish tournaments, I take care of the fish in my livewell, if one would happen to die, I'll take it home and eat it.
If we all decided to keep our catch.. We would destroy the fishery, no one wants to see that happen!!

I also clean trash everywhere I go, countless beer cans.. food related trash.. I pulled a golf size umbrella stuck in 3 feet of water on Mississippi.
Don't put all of us in the same bag just like not every land owner is a PITA..

Let's just all do our part to respect the environment and each other. We will never all agree on this type of subject.. \ :roll:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Lenny wrote:I think this is a good conversation. I think anyone who actually thinks that tournaments don't have any negative effects is lying to themselves. Not only is it not good for the fish, but the pollution from the boats, garbage from using soft plastics ect.. all has an effect on the environment. That doesn't mean I'm against tournaments- but I do think that they should be more strictly regulated. Heck, even the way they hold the fish up at the weigh in isn't good for them (http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/manns ... bass.shtml). However, as seen in this thread accusing tournament bass anglers of any wrongdoings usually leads to people getting very defensive.

What makes it a good exchange?
All I’m reading is generalized opinions in regards to tournament fishing with no facts or little solutions.
These same shady opinions that would apply to all of the fishing community, but solely directed to one angler in particular, the evil tournament angler *insert sinister laugh here*
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Haulin Bass wrote: You are entitled to your opinion. But as I follow this thread the OP has been accused of using blanket statements, and now being called ignorant. The personal hits I take with a grain of salt. I did not make these events up.If any one would care to point out a blanket statement that is not true and the ignorance aspects of the original post I would be glad to amend it
If you can't handle it, don't dish it out.

Do you know how many bags it would have taken this past Saturday on the Rideau to pick all them weeds up? :?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

TheMaverick wrote:
Lenny wrote:I think this is a good conversation. I think anyone who actually thinks that tournaments don't have any negative effects is lying to themselves. Not only is it not good for the fish, but the pollution from the boats, garbage from using soft plastics ect.. all has an effect on the environment. That doesn't mean I'm against tournaments- but I do think that they should be more strictly regulated. Heck, even the way they hold the fish up at the weigh in isn't good for them (http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/manns ... bass.shtml). However, as seen in this thread accusing tournament bass anglers of any wrongdoings usually leads to people getting very defensive.

What makes it a good exchange?
All I’m reading is generalized opinions in regards to tournament fishing with no facts or little solutions.
These same shady opinions that would apply to all of the fishing community, but solely directed to one angler in particular, the evil tournament angler *insert sinister laugh here*
I don't see that at all- lots of talk on here about limiting the amount of tournaments on certain bodies of water that are seeing too much pressure and boating traffic. The holding fish vertically is also a fact and has been proven by scientific studies, and so has the fact that plastics expand and pollute waters. So as far as solutions go, I would like to see fish held horizontally or kept in the bags, soft plastics banned and a limit on the depth of water people can fish. But as you said- we'll never agree and that's just my opinion. I commend people like ShawnD that clean up and I don't think tournament anglers are bad people, I just don't think they are run as well as they could be. In a thread like this you'll hear from both sides of the fence, and I respect everyone's opinion