trusted brands to buy fishing rods and reels from

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

bruinz19 wrote:Wallypro, usinga new Uglystick this season, curious as to why you claim them to be the worst.
I just find them to not be very sensitive and lacking in the performance department.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

8 foot ugly stick bigwater (BWS 1100) with a daiwa SS tournament 2600 is a bulletproof catfish combo 8)

...and i use the 10 foot version of the same rod with a beefy daiwa emblem pro 5500 as a spod rod...
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Actually, my buddy has an UglyStik (one up from the Lite which is what I have) and he loves it. I've used it many times and hate it and my Lite. Different rods for different folks I guess.

My favourite rod yet is a Daiwa (Exterminator??)... circa 1994 bought at the Calabogie Home Hardware as a gift. It slowly shrunk as my buddy first stepped on it (-6inches), closed the trunk on it (- another 6 inches), then the door ( maybe use it as a tip-up now?). He has an indestructible Uglystik...
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Post by pikeonthe fly »

I like both Shimano and Quantum for reels...the high end models, however in the case of Shimano I often wonder how much extra I am paying for the name.... :?
CLofchik
Participant
Participant

Post by CLofchik »

If you want to pay double for the same performance and help Bob Izumi buy another house........by all means go Shimano :D

Went though three Stradics in a year.....bought a Quantum when the warranty finally expired. When I finally decided to buy a baitcaster went with Shimano. Forget the model, it was their midline $120ish before the Curado. Warped the frame on the first fish, didn't bother to replace it because I was done with Shimano's from that point forward.

They did make a favourite rod for crank'n & topwater pike & bass, it was a graphite/glass hybrid that was stout but had a soft tip that would "give" on a strike and let the fish get the bait in their mouth. Only Shimano product I ever liked, naturally they don't make them anymore.

If you don't stress them, Shimano reels are great for small fish that will just last for years & years without a hitch. If you go after big fish on heavier line (15lb/test+) Shimano's will just implode.

Here's my field tested opinions on salmon, trout & carp approved rods & reels.

Reels:

Daiwa SS: There's a reason they still make the old Tournaments, toughest freshwater spinning reels out there with great drags. Not as smooth gearing as alot of newer reels but will last longer than anything twice the price.

Pflueger Supreme/Quantum PTi (Now called "Energy"): I lump these two together because price & performance are so close it's hard to call. Quantum has a better drag, Pflueger a little smoother on the retrieve, both cast about the same. Whichever one you can find cheaper you won't be sorry. Both smoke any Shimano that's even close in price.

Okuma Avenger: Bargain option, mine lasted two seasons before wearing out (compared to Shimano's average of 4 fish). Best reel out there for less than $100, not great but if price is a factor this can't be beat.

Rods:

Fenwick HMX: I love these rods, light, sensitive and now come with Fuji's top of the line guides that do increase casting distance a chunk with braid. Even like their ergo humpy reel seat. Great rods.

St. Croix Premier: Only reason I still use a baitcaster at all(Quantum Energy) is because of St.Croix rods.

Honorable Mentions: Any pre-Shimano GLoomis. Shimano bought Loomis rods, and surprise surprise quality went down & prices went up. I have a few older Loomis GL2 & IMX trout & salmon wands that are great, but newer ones are heavier & duller. Another rod I really liked was a Berkeley Air IM7, for chasing carp & salmon pier chucking it was a good rod, but after ten years it's starting to really soften up and is now officially retired.

........not that I have any opinions or anything :D
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Rod - Abu Garcia.
Reel - The only choice...Shimano!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

CLofchik wrote:
Daiwa SS: There's a reason they still make the old Tournaments, toughest freshwater spinning reels out there with great drags. Not as smooth gearing as alot of newer reels but will last longer than anything twice the price.
amen to that...like I said..bulletproof
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Daiwa SS 700 and 1300 reels rock!....an indestructable, solid work-horse for most fresh water fare.

I love 'em