How low can the Ottawa River go?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

Wtf why bust my butt for uncaught fish on OR.. ----. If I caught one and yeah I could see some treatment but hey maybe a "did you see in the regs that ottawa river is closed for pike till friday?" No.. Nice way you all deal with stuff around here. Gotta love desktop gladiators.

In all honesty I didnt know the damn river was a seperate regulated area. Its in the damn zone so it complies with zone rules. ---- the MNR

BTW thx RJ. At least 1 person here has a mind. Sorry I dont have the book memorized.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Know your zones and regs.

Post by Joey Rat »

Catching OS fish is one thing, targetting them is another and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

But then what can you expect when I have an OPP marine unit asking me where my lifejacket is when I'm standing there in a bright orange floater suit and there are lifejackets hanging on the seat backs.

Seems to me the law enforcers are pretty much in the same league as the law breakers.

If only they could find each other. We'd all be happy!

My understanding is that the Ottawa River (Zone 12) is separate because it is a shared resourse with the province of Quebec and the regs are balanced to reflect both juristictions.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

In all honesty I didnt know the damn river was a seperate regulated area. Its in the damn zone so it complies with zone rules
Ignorance is never an excuse. There are two links to the regulations on this site, one is a quick view, the other is a direct link to the MNR version. The Ottawa river being a seperate zone is not a new entry to the regs this year. I suggest you spend some time learning the regs:

http://www.fish-hawk.net/index.php?page=89

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 98678.html
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

HaZarD wrote:Wtf why bust my butt for uncaught fish on OR.. ----. If I caught one and yeah I could see some treatment but hey maybe a "did you see in the regs that ottawa river is closed for pike till friday?" No.. Nice way you all deal with stuff around here. Gotta love desktop gladiators.

In all honesty I didnt know the damn river was a seperate regulated area. Its in the damn zone so it complies with zone rules. ---- the MNR

BTW thx RJ. At least 1 person here has a mind. Sorry I dont have the book memorized.
Comments like this make me think more and more that some sort of educational course and proof of competency testing needs to be done before handing out fishing licenses.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Know your zones and regs.

Post by MLR »

[quote=

My understanding is that the Ottawa River (Zone 12) is separate because it is a shared resourse with the province of Quebec and the regs are balanced to reflect both juristictions.[/quote]

Joey, that may have been true when it was originally created, but since the province of Ontario declared lake sturgeon an endangered species,cancelled the season and Quebec has not, the same rules don't apply for each province. This obiviously was not well thought out by the Ontario government. It was to correct a problem of commercial fishing lake sturgeon in north eastern ontario. It's sad that when the province wants to fix something, they get out their big wide paint brush and ban something instead of dealing with the issue where it was a problem.

With that being said, I am sure at some point, some one will see some one targeting or catching lake sturgeon on the Ottawa River, get their panties all bunched up over it and not realize that no law has been broken.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

MLR wrote:
HaZarD wrote:Wtf why bust my butt for uncaught fish on OR.. ----. If I caught one and yeah I could see some treatment but hey maybe a "did you see in the regs that ottawa river is closed for pike till friday?" No.. Nice way you all deal with stuff around here. Gotta love desktop gladiators.

Comments like this make me think more and more that some sort of educational course and proof of competency testing needs to be done before handing out fishing licenses.
The same test could be applied for joining the forum.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

In all honesty I didnt know the damn river was a seperate regulated area.
Considering your "Meh whatever" comment earlier in this thread it doesn't look like you made much of an effort to find out either.
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

damn. You all are on my like white on rice even though I did target out of season not knowing that the river was zone 12.

My 1st post reflected by another member was getting pike out of season and that was on a damn lure that takes in baitfish. Im still getting razzed for that. I dont target out of season fish on purpose. I didnt know that INLAND of the river was still zone 12 nor know that the river was a different zone. I fish zone 18 and read all of zone 18.

I know regs and rules. I catch and release. I dont care if I catch a 100lb muskie. Ill still let it go. I also run barbless treble hooks when going for baitfish. And yes that saves hurting larger species that take the bait. Well they dont get damaged as much as they would with barbs upon removal.

Anyways. I made a mistake and fully know it. I am and have been trying to read all the zones around ottawa but MNR is down for their .pdf.

Keep flaming if you just are an angry person with nothing better to do. RJ is the only sensable one to put caution in the wind and warn me rather then bitch like the rest.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Ref the harmonized regs between QC and On. The MNR has been working hard on harmonizing the regulations for zone 12 and have agreed to all but 2...and they're working on those. Lots of interprovincial red tape so give them credit for what they've achieved.

For HaZarD - you have to get familiar with the regulations and various zones as there are also numerous exceptions to the rule in many zones. A bit of homework will save you a lot of grief, money and loss of all your tackle if caught.
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

thx larry. Yes ill be readin up on em when i grab a book. I do however dont see petrie islands and what its classified as anywhere in the regs. It should be listed as zone 12 or 18.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Don't sweat it too Hazard.....grab a regs book and throw it in your John.....some not too bad reading in there.....

Any tributary of the Ottawa River is considered Zone 12.....I believe until you pass a major roadway (bridge).....the Regs experts on here can correct me on that if I'm wrong..... :lol:

As of friday...no more worries anywhere...

RJ
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

A big problem we will have with the river is ecoli levels with the water being so low. There has already been some concerns with it.
Tehy are holding some water on top but that will not make any difference if they open the dam
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

thereis also a article in today little journal 24H.

the ottawa river talk about the otta river low level.

and talk about low water=algae bloom and dea fish.

plus they are kind off saying..treat to water level in the st lawrence...could.stop the passge off vessel along the seaway..... :shock: :shock: .

all this those not look god at all.

here at work they dont want to stop the machine because at all..because water is very rare and worth a fortune right now.

like i said before water up the reservoir is a bank acount..but if the watyer is low up there that meen low bank acount..and they need water all summer long..

this is bad new for everyone....fisherman..companies on power grid.

and all those companies that are into white water...some sector like the aylmer bidge usely bring a lot off people now.no one cat go..no current and water to low.

joco

joco
Last edited by joco on Thu May 13, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

My 1st post reflected by another member was getting pike out of season and that was on a damn lure that takes in baitfish
I also run barbless treble hooks when going for baitfish
OK, I'm really interested in this. What baitfish hits a lure with trebles?