Keeping Fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

I know what you mean about DAD the older i got the smarter he became :roll:
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

I agree that the older generation has a different approach to fish and wild life and that's because thats the way it was ....it's different now .

It has to be because the previous generations left pretty limited
stocks .

But with population comes impact on populations.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Since we're talking about keeping fish, anyone watch Daryl Chronzy this weekend? He was promoting the eating of Muskie saying that if you know the fish is going to die and you can't revive it, you might as well eat it. He never mentioned anything about legal size, posession or whether your license allows you to keep the fish (conservation vice sportsman).

That guy would deep fry a bucket full of guppies if given the chance!!!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

"Eh? Eh? Eh? Ya know Eh?" Man I cant stand watching that guy! He constantly says that. :wink:
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

I want to see what people think about giving these fish away on a consistent basis?
Seems post got off track a bit. There was no mention of the man catching more than his legal limit. Only that he can catch one everyday and sometimes he keeps it and sometimes he gives it away. I see no problem with giving a fish away. I give them to my father all the time. And if he gives one to an angler that hasnt had any luck or not the same skill , I see no harm. Even the best fisherman get skunked... he may feel like he is doing good giving a meal of fish to someone.. We could discuss all the "what ifs" ..it seems to be a favorite topic when dealing in law. My opinon is he is not going to devastate the steelie population based on the noted observations. :wink:
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Salmon brings up a good point. No one fisherman is going to devestate a whole species by himself/herself. I think it's more the cumulative effect of many fishermen doing this, that concerns people most.

If he's catching one and keeping it or giving it away, I don't have a problem with it. He's within his rights to do so. If he's catching one, giving it away, catching another, giving it away, etc. within the one outing everytime, well, then he's clearly breaking the law and regs. That's a whole other kettle of fish.
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

LL, I watched that show on the weekend too. LMAO, but he did mention to keep a Muskie it had meet the size limit for the area you are fishing. I wonder how many Muskie Fishermen heart attacks he caused?
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

keep muski to eat? :shock: ohhhhh :shock: u mean get mugged at the boat launch and deservingly so :twisted:

lol
JFish
Participant
Participant

Post by JFish »

Good to see this turned to be a popular topic. The problem I have is with the amout of fish this gentleman is keeping. Like I said, I have seen probably close to 15 or 20 fish kept or given away by this man. I know he is there often, probably everyday almost would be my guess. If he has kept close to 50 or more fish this fall does anybody think that is affecting the population of steelies? That's a lot of fish in my opinion.

JFish
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Of course, its affecting the fish.. Maybe not as an entire population.. But if he's in the same spot constantly hes going to put an overwhelming amount of stress on them and they wont as frequently visit the pool, or hole.. I've done quite a bit of river fishing for steelies, and one thing I know is that with the amount of people that fish the rivers. The salmon and steelhead are very spooked, this is because seeing people on a consistent basis has interrupted their spawning or feeding habits. In fact steelhead see your shadow in most rivers they spook. This guy already going to the same spot everyday has had some effect if you believe it or not. Not only is he keeping them but most likely hes spooking them which means theyre could be a bigger abundance in that area if he wasnt doing what he was doing. By letting this guy know how you feel you could prevent your fishing spot frmo being an obsolete one next season... But I mea I dont know first hand what kind of body of water your talking about. But believe me keeping that many fish will have an effect.

As for giving away fish I think its a bad thing to do "unless" its to a family member such as (mom.dad,brother,grandpa,grandma etc.) . I mean if you bring it home and clean them give it to them wheres the ahrm in that. Otherwise by giving one away to someone on the bank beside you, your sending them the message its ok to due so. The cycle will pass from angler to angler and then we have a community of fish givers. I've seen it happen many times from salmon to steelhead to walleye. Some guy giving a total stranger a walleye he caught. That guy who received it you know nothing about. He could maybe be someone without a license, or even someone who never fishes. I just think youd be showing a bad example. A fish should be kept by the person whom got the bite, or by someone in the same boat. In doing this we can be sending the message that "buying a fishing liecense is necessary and abiding by the rules is too. Also we'd be able to terminate this entire thread. And no longer be discussing this topic. Because the original poster would have never been concerned. But its good to see him care because many dont and then they wonder howcome their spot is no longer a hotspot in the upcoming years.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

On many fishing shows it isnt always the host that catches the shore lunch. Arent we allowed to share? Lake Ontario does get stocked..a big put and take fishery. No problem with catch and release..no problem eating a few either. I take 5 salmon home each trip on Lake Ontario. But I release inland trout,bass,perch and 90 per cent of walleye. Lets look at where the fish came from. New York state stocks a million and a half fish each year..guess where they swim to? Great Lakes tribs on both sides of the border. Yes natural regeneration occurs in the tribs..but this gentleman isnt a threat to any area around the great lakes.
He could maybe be someone without a license, or even someone who never fishes.
And in that lies the "what if"
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Ease up.

As long as the fish are caught legally within the law, the gentleman can give them to whoever he wants to. And the people he gives them to do not have to posess a fishing license.

If people are going to run off at the mouth about thins, they should at least know what htey are talking about. Don't twist and misquote the laws to conform others to your personal agenda.

I don't keep very many fish at all, but I don't chirp about other peoples ethics as long as they stay within the guidelines and laws provided to them.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Taylor,

Its a message board you can put in your personal opinions, thats the point.. However thats why Ive been gone so long nothing interesting on here anymore really. I dont need to ease up. And I was stating an opinion, I didnt say it was facts. Take it whatever way you want !
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

C'mon guys, let's not let an otherwise civilized convo with differing opinions degrade to calling each other out. Msg. board or not, it's about communication and passing of ideas, if they're misunderstood, another simple post can clear it up easy.

Let's all get along please.

Sincerely,

DaSickGuyWhoReallyHasThingsToWorryAboutAndRecognizesTheSillynessOfBickeringForNothingBecauseEverythingHasComeIntoClearPerspective.

:D
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

KPIN
I couldnt agree more with you! Words of wisdom...

Spence