recommended H.P for my 12 footer

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: illegal??

Post by BASSSTALKER »

something_fishy wrote:Are you guys sure that it's illegal??
It says recommended, not required. I mean, will I get charged a fine for it?? I plan on going over the limit, but come on, let's get real, I'm not gonna put a 100HP motor on my 12', I plan on putting a 9.9HP instead of my 6HP, I can't see this being a problem (or idiotic :wink: ).

I'm not worried about the safety aspect, there is none with a small jump like this, but I'm more worried about if there is a legal side to it.

So in final, Legal or Illegal?
Carefull, My buddie has a 15 hp on his 14ft boat and it is unsafe as all hell. I keep telling him that he should evan put an 8 on there. I don't go in that boat anymore. More power is'nt always good.

I would not put a 9.9 on a 12 ft boat.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Not to be argumentative, but, coming from someone who pretty much fishes every body of water big or small(excluding the great lakes :wink: ) in a 12fter with a 6, its slow as mollases although great for trolling, anyways point is I'll slap a 9.9 on there in a sec if I get one, not saying its safe but as long as the weight is similar to the 6 u should be fine, and my 12 is rated for a 10 anyhow. Just don't be too generous on the throttle and you'll be fine, and don't try to boot through 4 ft swells like you're in a nitro boat :wink: .

Cheers,

MH
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

It's not only the stability of the boat when talking Max H.P.....but transum strengh.....small boat transums will not take the torque of a bigger motor....please be careful
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

I don't know about the rest of the lads, but careful is my middle name! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cheers,

MH
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

MH,
Ha Ha Ha :D :D :D :D

Big-O is right about that though, too much weight on the transom is bad. Our fiberglass green 14' boat was all cracked at the transom from the previous owner who had put a 20 or 25 hp on it some times. In really rought water you have to be carefull with an over powered boat, one big wave hit at the wrong angle and you are gone.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Good point Big-o I had to replace the transom on my boat this spring cause the guy had a 20hp on it b4 me and he let it go to the point of no repair so I replaced it.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thank you all!!

Post by something_fishy »

After carefully reading all of your recommendations, I have decided not to go over the limit, sticking with an old saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" I will stick with my 6HP motor and be happy with it until I buy a new boat, then I will go nuts!!! :P :P :P

Thanks to all who posted a reply, it defenitely made me think about my decision. This board rocks!!! :D :D :D