InFisherman, FishHawk and OOS photos

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Should we lead by example with OOS fish?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:15 am

FishHawk will have an up-front policy of not publishing OOS photos (in the same spirit as In-Fisherman)
58%
FishHawk will publish OOS photos
42%

Total votes: 64

steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Great Post RJ
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

RJ, Big-O, well said. Unfortunately when Bass opens this won't go away because it will be something else as RJ said. I am sick of this never ending discussion! Stick with the fishing reports and the sharing of information.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

I don't think the average fisherman goes out to poach OOS fish. Unfortunately the odd fish is caught that is OOS but since you have to get the hook out of the fish and it is already in the boat I can't see why if the opportunity is there not to take one final picture before releasing it. I know there are some people out there that will say that it might add too the stress to the fish but come on, one quick picture can't put that much more stress on it.I wasn't planning on catching or keeping the OOS fish in the first place but I might not get a better one for the rest of the year even if it is in season and after all it was returned to fight for another day.
Michael
Participant
Participant

Post by Michael »

Fair enough man, your choice. But the question is about whether Fish-Hawk publishes these photos.

In-Fisherman, argueably the most successful multispecies fishing mag in in the world, has chosen not to.

Does any on know of any print mags that do make a habit of publishing OOS fish photos?
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

As an informative site such as this I would have to agree that it is probably not very ethical to post OOS fish but if it was assured that the fish was live released and no apparent harm was done to the fish why not?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Fish-Hawk does not publish photos Michael....Fish-hawk users post pics....get it straight....

93 fish visited my boat last night between Gordo and I....we had a great night....4 of them were bass....maybe we should have stayed home... :roll:

RJ
Shad
Participant
Participant

Post by Shad »

I voted not to post OOS fish pic's but that's just my opinion. Who am I or what is my opinion to someone else, probably nuthing but I choose to believe that if you do the right thing and lead by example then others will want too also.

It's easy to throw a bait in 2 feet of water over an OOS fish you can see guarding her nest but one day hopefully it will be easier to teach and preach to our children and younger anglers the reason's not too.

Just my two cents.
Big Fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Big Fisher »

Michael wrote:Fair enough man, your choice. But the question is about whether Fish-Hawk publishes these photos.

In-Fisherman, argueably the most successful multispecies fishing mag in in the world, has chosen not to.

Does any on know of any print mags that do make a habit of publishing OOS fish photos?
So if the owners of the board decide that posting OOS fish pics is fine with them will you leave since this would be againts everything you stand for??
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Michael wrote:Fair enough man, your choice. But the question is about whether Fish-Hawk publishes these photos.

How do they know the images are out of season? 95% of all photos taken by professional photographers are on digital mediums so the date can be set to anything. I think is a PR move by In-Fisherman and when it comes to selling mags they will never check to see if the image of a fish is in or out of season.

Just my opinion...

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I declined to vote.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

This is for the few that will see this before Markus deletes it.

Premeditadly (sp) taking pictures of OOS fish is illegal, no grey line here.

Catching OOS fish isn't illegal if you change area and tactics to prevent catching more of them.

I wouldn't partake in anything illegal and letting people post pictures of illegal activities isn't a good thing ether.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
canoedude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by canoedude »

RJ wrote:Fish-Hawk does not publish photos Michael....Fish-hawk users post pics....get it straight....
...but FH.net does allow these individuals to use its server space/bandwith to do so - for better or for worse.

My final thought - if you are tired of a particular discussion or topic, then don't read threads related to it, and don't post follow-ups - it's ONE (repeat ONE) thread out of many that appear on the page. Today, for example, there is plenty other good stuff to peruse - I don't see why these discussions (if civil) can't coexist with reports, tips etc.

Canoedude
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Trophymuskie wrote:Premeditadly (sp) taking pictures of OOS fish is illegal, no grey line here.
I've yet to see a regulation mentioning the word photographing and out of season fish in the same sentence therefore it's not illegal.
Duck Gunner
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Duck Gunner »

Enough already!!!

I am sick of this OOS picture discussion stuff...

The way I see this is if you want to look then look.
If you don't want to look then don't.

There is a helluva a pile of stuff more important than this!!!

Here's a rule of thumb...
When responding to a picture post, if you're not saying "nice one" or "where did you get that" or something complimentary, then don't post...
It nothing to do with censorship but rather restraint and not forcing your beliefs/values on others.

I with many others out here, let's stick to fishing reports and good times!!!
And leave out the Cow patties!!!

Just my humble opinion...

DG. 8)
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

TM- If you consider taking a photo of an OOS fish to be illegal... because it should be "immediately released" instead...
The same goes for photographing an undersized musky. It too should be 'immediately released"... same terms are used, therefore same interpretation. Any pictures of an Ottawa River musky under 54" should illegal too, right?