heavy hook

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

heavy hook

Post by Niagara Nick »

Found this when I was fishing the Niagara river last week .

I've never seen a hook like this before and can only assume what it's for .

jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

What the heck is that lol. Ive never seen it befor, mabey someone els will know what it is :?
Northamfishing Tackle
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Snag!

Post by Cancatchbass »

That's a snag hook.

They used to be legal in some U.S. waters. Don't think they were ever legal here? :?

CCB
Last edited by Cancatchbass on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing Freak
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishing Freak »

Go to the ganny in the faLl, and you'Ll see a few of those being casted. :shock:

A snaggers favorite river Lure.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

It's used to snag fish....the Indians use them in Nova Scotia to catch their alotment of salmon....it's the most brutal thing I've ever witnessed...a game warden watching as 2 Indians ripped it through the pools ...snagging salmon in the head....sides...etc....it's not pretty...have also seen similar things done on the Black river in Ontario for salmon too....using one of these is grounds to have your *alls cut off in my opinion....real sporting.... :evil: :evil: :x
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

That folks is a Michigan Cricket. Used to be sold by the truckload on the Salmon River at Pulaski.
hoeboe
Participant
Participant

Post by hoeboe »

the good ole Mannistee Fly. LOL.

you can buy them on the east coast for jigging cod. i have a few in my tackle box. not something you can really use in ontario though. actually not at all.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

To my knowledge this "Style" of fishing, ya fishing :roll: Has never been allowed in On.For years it was a massive hit in the Black, and Salmon river systems.Across the pond they stock Salmon heavily and thier runs are way superior to the runs we see on the On side.Salmon migrate back to the river they were hatched, or spawned from, and with a heavy stocking program, leads to a heavy return, which then leads to a heavy return of both stocked and hatched fish to that river or creek system in the following 3-5 years for another go.

Salmon alway migrate to thier original birth system to spawn.

That is a doozy of a "snaggin" weight.I tend to see quite a few left behinf on the eastern basin tribs, most are seen in the fall, but ive stumbled upon my fair share of"Rig' during the spring and winter aswell.

Sad to see.

F.F
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

(HoeBoe) Not to start anything here, but why do you have some of those weighted trebles in your tackle box :o ... Just curious...
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Funny, I never saw one, but figured that to be a foul hooking set up immediately. Burns me up for sure. :x

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Actually a cod jig is different and is a jig, I have an old one on the mantle and two new ones in my box. The new ones are different and are 1 and 2oz. liked the look for Lakers
hoeboe
Participant
Participant

Post by hoeboe »

hooked on fishing (HOF) wrote:(HoeBoe) Not to start anything here, but why do you have some of those weighted trebles in your tackle box :o ... Just curious...
i had been down in Cape Cod a few years back and picked them up at a local tackle shop because we were going to do some shark fishing in deep water. they are still in my box 'cause i never clean the thing out since i hardly ever use artificial bait. and they are a bit different than the pic. (majority of lead is on the shaft of my hook)
pieter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pieter »

That's some hook tou got there NN

pieter
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

(HoeBoe) Thank's for clearing that up :) , I was not the only one that was woundering... I was not aware that they were actually sold in store's :shock: ... unless you plann another trip to cap cod, I would remove them from your box. If a CO. ever saw those, he would look for any reason at all to nail you with some sort of infraction... Have a good one 8)
Nassau Frank
Participant
Participant

I know

Post by Nassau Frank »

The Mrs. and I know this as a marital aid - for those special frisky times