MUSKIE-FISHING

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BIGKAHUNA
Participant
Participant

MUSKIE-FISHING

Post by BIGKAHUNA »

I'D LIKE TO FIND SOME AREAS TO MUSKIE IN CANADA. NEVER FISHED UP HERE. :lol: [/b]
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Welcome aboard .. I think you'll like it here :)

A ton of great info from a ton of great guys and gals.

Ottawa area must be the Muskie capital from the amount of discussions generated.I'm sure you will get lots of great info.

My youngest son caught 'our' first muskie last year . this year we hope to target these beasts.

Tinbanger

Post by Guest »

Tough fisheries up here, not too many fish left

Post by Guest »

Just kidding... are you an expreienced musky fisherman? If so Ottawa and the surrounding areas have a good musky population with a good average size. If you are new to the sport check out the Kawartha lakes for numbers
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

musky

Post by g unis »

musky capital is lake st. clair hands down. sorry guys
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey Bigkahuna, I see you managed to find us. As I told you on the other baord, there are some great Muskie Fishermen here who I'm sure will be only to happy to help you out :!:

Welcome aboard :!:

RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Kawarthas for numbers....if you are in a smaller boat....

Ottawa River or St. Lawrence for potential giants....

Can't speak for St. Clair....

RJ
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

musky

Post by g unis »

average fisherman onweekends and evenings woulddo over a 100 to 150 per season. hard to believe but true. there are charter boats with over 500 fish a season. no 50s but we do have fish in the 40lb. range

Post by Guest »

I would catch that many fish if I trolled with 8 lines out the back as well :lol: :D
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

musky

Post by g unis »

i know many running legal on the can. side with over 200 fish.. the musky canada classic last july alone had well over a 100 fish caught and released. i think it is safe to say st. clair is a musky factory

Post by Guest »

So many muskies and so many lines that they do not even stop the boat while reeling in a Ski!
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

musky

Post by g unis »

hello have you ever fished st. clair. some dont stop the boat. i personally believe to have the boat at dead idle when releasing properly holding the fish boatside to get an oxeygeon flow going to help the fish along.. with 3 million potential users of the fishey we have to be careful but we have been there done that. after 40 years fishing skis what really sends the wrong messages is to be baited into controversial subjects by fishermen who heard or was told without ever coming to fish st. clair. most fishermen are dedicated to release on this lake. i am speaking for the guys on the canadian shore.. after all youcan have days of 10 fish, the local boys gotta be doing something correct to have this fishery. its called proper release. people that have never fished here always deal on the negative not the positive till they come and see what we do have. george

Post by Guest »

To be honest I am not a fan of trolling all day. Trolling does have its place but to troll around a lake with no structure in hopes tog et a fish is not my cup of tea. I would rather fish a body of water with more drop offs, humps, deep weedlines...
I am not saying St Clair is not a great lake to catch muskies but I would rather not troll all day. How many did you catch casting last year?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i've never caught a decent muskie.

to have an opportunity to catch a few in a day would be MORE than worth it.

we've paid, and taken two guides out on lakes, and have managed One muskie.

Tough Fish.
Steve-K
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steve-K »

Biggest I ever caught was about 6lbs., but every year on Pigeon my Wife manages to hook a nice one on her tube, only bait she ever uses.