MNR Air Photo Maps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

MNR Air Photo Maps

Post by Laketrout »

Has anyone seen these maps. Are they any good for checking shore lines for possible camp sites?
http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca/englis ... &subcat=78
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Another interesting link although on a larger scale:

Northeast United States and Canada
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/viewrecord?25974

The Great Lakes
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/viewrecord?25928
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Laketrout,

Are you considering these maps as an enhancment for your Nipigon lake trip planning ?

My father has a series of these through MNR contacts that he got for hunting scouting for the west Nipigon area. This area here :

http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca/englis ... 2016_1_090

They were decent enough for pointing out what areas were clear and what area were forested and such - but I think that they would be pretty hard to use to find camping spots. The other thing that isnt so good about them, is that they are from a certain year, and the bush can rapidly take over clearings and spaces that are shown on the map. My dad found this out when some of the burns and cut overs that looked like good moose habitat were by now grown up too much. I dont know if you will be able to get any useful camping off of these photos. Are you looking for tent camping or a spce to put a trailer in crown land ?

He did take a fishing trip out to this area this past summer (pickerel fishing), and they didnt seem to have too much trouble finding a place to setup the trailer, but they certainly werent alone. One thing that I would mention to you is that even though Nipigon is quite a ways away, you can expect plenty of company on most lakes. Quite a large number of guys from the northern states and Manitoba like to camp out and fish this area.

Hope this helps a bit

Fox
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

Thanks Guys
FireFox I'm using them for shorelines and possible safe harbours on the islands. I hope they are decent I ordered over $100 worth of prints.
I plan on camping out on one of the Islands for 7-10 days.
I've been in contact with a fellow in Int'l. Falls, MN He's planning the same type of trip for later in the season although he will be sleeping on his boat. We have be pooling our info as we find it.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Lake Trout I have a viewer, made by air photo supply, that really help to enhance the photos, if the photos are anything like the ones they were producing 20 yrs ago. Welcome to them if you want.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Laketrout

We use the MNR photos for reference at our hunt camp . Pretty good detail we can see our camp (12'x 20' ) but as noted earlier the photos can be years or decades old.
One of the guys in camp had a magnifying device ( looks like a jewelers ) that you set on the photo and it really helps with detail
Our camp was surveyed in 1957 and again in 1998 , kinda cool to see the changes .

Tinbanger
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

Thanks again Guys
FFF
I see they give you an option on blowing up the photo for more detail. I'll give that a try.Thanks for the offer FFF and info tinbanger