Last Nights Miraculous Musky Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lost Leader
Participant
Participant

Last Nights Miraculous Musky Fishing

Post by Lost Leader »

Wow! :D
Last night DV_8 and I finally got it right.
A couple weeks ago my long time fishing buddy DV_8 and I learned a few tricks from Mushiemagnet. High speed trolling spinner baits on the Ottawa River. I've ordered some Fudalley spinners from the states and haven't got them yet but in the mean time, I got a half decient bait from Real to Real Plus to keep me going. Last week we went a couple of times to Shirleys Bay and the Rideau but all I caught was Pike and Bass.
Last night we tried the Ottawa again and started arround 4:00 PM for Pike I was casting my preciuos spinner bait when the unthinkable happened. My baitcasters spool locked and the weight of the bait snapped the line above the leader. My bait flew about 50 yards to a watery grave.
Now I was stuck.
I remmembered an old in line spinner I had in the garage that I put in the tackle box so I pulled it out. It was an old tandem but the bucktail on the back hook had long since been worn off. I removed the back treble and pulled it through a long plastic grub and eureka I had a half decent looking bait.
Well we went to work on high speed trolling. At arround 6:00 my rod almost jumped out of my hands. I was on with a huge fish. When it got near the boat DV_8 and I couldn't believe it. After many attempts DV_8 hand landed the beast. It was 48 inches long and had a girth of 21 inches. After that we set to work to get DV_8 hooked up. Just before we put on the running lights it happened again. Wham! I hooked up a again. After a good fight DV_8 pulled the 49 inch monster into the boat.
With the help of DV_8 both fish were revived a swam away to give a fight another day.
Now we are really hooked on Muskie fishing.
Thanks Muskiemagnet :D
DV_8 will post the photos later.
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

I still can't believe the evening's fishing we had! I must of been smiling all night long. :D I had to go in for an overnight shift last night after fishing and couldn't stop thinking of the great evening's fishing we had. I had to tell the story to all the guys at work. Unfortunately, I forgot my digital camera :oops: but luckily Lip Ripper had one of those disposable cameras in his tackle box. I will post the pics as soon as I get them. Thanks Muskiemagnet for your lessons. Maybe the ones we caught are the ones we missed the other night. :wink: Happy Fishing
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Congrats, must have been mayhem in the boat for both fish. Looking forward to the pics.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI GUYS

VERY NICE CATCH ,,,,,,,,whish it was me there

question how fast did you troll,,,,and how far back frome the boat?

thanks

joco 8)
Lost Leader
Participant
Participant

Speed and Distance

Post by Lost Leader »

1 cast behind the boat at 4 to 5 mph. Just make sure you hold your rod high enough so the spinners bulge the water and even pop out once in a while.
Good Luck
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

You're welcome...!!! Good to see those fish are still lurking about.
Brad
Participant
Participant

congratulations

Post by Brad »

congratulations guys on the grate catch WOW This is going to be my first year going for them babys trying to learn as much as i can thanks for the post and looking forward to the pics as well hi seed :? mmmmmmmmm

Post by Guest »

Nice work guys! Congrats on some great fish. Looking foward to the pictures.

HW
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Wow....you guys had a awsome eveing!!!!!!! I also can't wait to see the photo's....way to go guys