The Ottawa River is Feeling Generous

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

The Ottawa River is Feeling Generous

Post by Yannick Loranger »

The grocery store is open with limits of eater size walleye just about a given with every group. Not great for impressive photos, but good consistent action to kill time before the big fish hunts.

I had a group of Nova Scotian bass tournament anglers that wanted to target largemouth. While they were chucking Kermit into the weeds I was throwing a favorite non discriminate big fish bait of mine to the outside. I horsed in a PB musky on heavy bass tackle. I didn't have my muysky net on the boat but my Knipex came in handy to cut the hook.
**click for the video**

I only guide for bass when I get specific requests from my clients. Most people that request to bass fish are frustrated tournament anglers. Ron was no exception. A regular of mine, Ron got skunked at the Lefaivre tournament. I put Ron on the front of the boat and with identical tackle to what I was chucking from the back. As luck would have it the hot pattern included fishing from the back of the boat I guess. No big numbers of fish, but we had a 15lbs bag of smallies fishing from 8am to noon. The one on the left was pretty close to another PB for me at a hair short of 20''.

The Krisko's were vacationing in Ottawa and booked a day with me months ago. After a laid back, easy morning of walleye catfish, the post-shore lunch plan was to sacrifice numbers in search of pike and musky. The term ''feeding window'' was explained and then demonstrated. After a slow couple hours of trolling with only a couple small pike to show for it the Krisko matriarch lets out a screech that can only mean big fish. No monster, but a 36'' musky put smiles all around.

20 minutes later, the rod in the rod holder, a.k.a. the guide's right hand, goes off. 11 year old Sam is the first to have his line in so he grabs the rod. Between: ''I can't'', "it's too heavy", and "I'm gonna lose him" Sam handles the big stick like a veteran and we soon have a 45.5" musky in the net. We are all absolutely radiant and this fish will go down as one of the most satisfying of my guiding career. Mom's excitement that in the way of her photography skills.

Earlier this week, after putting 3 limits of walleye in the well in record time, we switched gears to big Esox. I assured the guys that we will hit a feeding window, and to keep casting their big topwaters with confidence. After a short trolling run to change things up, the first cast on the spot we've been fishing for close to 2 hours is greeted with a furious explosion. Dave got a big surprise with what is surely the plumpest pike I've seen come out of this stretch of the Ottawa. The next few minutes saw us land a handful of smaller pike and miss one musky. A great day on the Ottawa.

Busy stretch ahead after a couple days off. Summer camps and daily evening bookings next week. Let the rods be bent!

Tightest line to all.
Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
FishEyes
Participant
Participant

Re: The Ottawa River is Feeling Generous

Post by FishEyes »

Nice haul Yannick! Thanks for sharing.
We're you fishing down by Rockland or further up the river?
Steve. :banana-guitar:
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

FishEyes wrote:Nice haul Yannick! Thanks for sharing.
We're you fishing down by Rockland or further up the river?
Good variety of spots in those pics. The walleye are from Petrie, the musky and pike are from Cumberland, Rockland and Wendover. The bass were caught on a bunch of spots between Rockland and Wendover.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Nice mix of species. Keep up the good work man! Gotta love it
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Very nice outings, clients smiles say it all.

Noticed the pike this year seem to be on the plump side and a little bigger than the usual overall.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

BigC wrote:Very nice outings, clients smiles say it all.

Noticed the pike this year seem to be on the plump side and a little bigger than the usual overall.

I've noticed a rising trend in pike average size for the last 3 years on the river, but for sure this year is special. I had never had any over 10lbs on the boat and I think I've had two this year already (we don't weigh them). Lots of fun when you can pretty much guarantee the guests will get good size Esox every night.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
alexb
Participant
Participant

Post by alexb »

Thanks for the report nice to hear there's a good mix and biggies. :D
There are those who Fish and those who just DISTURB THE WATER
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Great work Yannick! Thanks for sharing. I hope the river is still generous on the 24th :)

Cheers
Dave
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Wow! Those are some nice fish!