Solid day for pike

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
donw
Participant
Participant

Solid day for pike

Post by donw »

After a really slow start to the pike season, at least personally, finally found a pattern that worked just a couple of days ago (before Sunday's rain).
Was fishing a stretch of the Rideau that I have not had much experience with, but with very little boat traffic at this time of year there was lots of opportunity to go hunting and see if I could figure out where the critters have been hiding.
No electronics on board my kayak, so it's strictly hunt and peck.
Up to this trip, I had been ripping baits along pretty quickly to get any bites at all. But on this morning, a slower roll with larger spinnerbaits seemed to be doing the trick. Boated several nice fish up to about 5 lbs., and lost a couple of others. The pike still were not slamming the lures ... they seem to be coming up behind and inhaling them, so a bit of patience was needed when they hit to ensure that they got the hook set.
I missed as many as I boated, which is rare for pike.
Will be heading out again a bit later this week to a similar area to give them another try. Hopefully the pattern will hold a bit longer even after the heavy rains.
Attachments
Chunky Rideau pike taken on a spinnerbait.
Chunky Rideau pike taken on a spinnerbait.
FullSizeRender.jpg (236.13 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Solid day for pike

Post by Jul0682 »

Congrats on the pike and an even full fishing as well.. haven't been lucky so far getting pike yet I'm fishing a new body of water on the Rideau close to the airport so always a bit of patience comes with new locations..

Congrats again.

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on a nice pike
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Hey Jul0682

I hear you. When you are working new water it always takes a bit of time to get used to it and find the areas that produce fish. When you say "airport", do you mean the Ottawa airport? If so, while there are still good numbers of fish in that stretch of river, boy it gets a lot of fishing pressure. So, the fish are probably a bit more educated, and tougher to catch.
Hang in there.
Best of luck!
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Looks like a nice slimer there Don.

You're going to have to work on those selfies though. lol.

The timer function on a camera, or the timer on a cell phone camera is a solo angler's best friend!!
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
drksthr
Participant
Participant

Post by drksthr »

nice catch... i find theyve been hitting on slow rolling spinnerbaits so far this season.. haven't had much luck when speeding up the presentation... also i agree with you on not slamming them. the few ive caught so far have just inhaled the lure... the only one that i caught slamming the lure was when i brought a crankbait through a school of 100+ sunfish.. mind ya it was on a 5' ultra light and 4lbs fluorocarbon so that may have been exaggerated because of that.. lol