Rigger fishing for Lakers ?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mick_C
Participant
Participant

Rigger fishing for Lakers ?

Post by Mick_C »

Hey as some of you know, I will be moving into the area later in the summer. There is no need to name lakes or give GPS Cord's, But how close is this style of fishing to the Ottawa area ?? I am torn between selling my west coast setup or keeping the boat and dragging it with me. Any input would help,

Thanks
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Re: Rigger fishing for Lakers ?

Post by laker taker »

There are a lot of deep water lakes in the area with lake trout. I have two downriggers on my boat and use them lots.
If I were you I would keep your setup because you will regret it later. How big of a rig do you have. When you get here I would point you in the direction of a few good lakes.
Laker
nanookofnj
Participant
Participant

Post by nanookofnj »

Over the decades, we've had a LOT of luck with Lakers trolling simple bronze/gold spoons on riggers around Big Water on Charleston Lake(Athens) in the summer/early fall in the heat of the day taking a break from SM fishing. With flashers and without. Best of luck!
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Lake Ontario isn't too far away and has excellent trout and salmon fishing.
Something to consider.
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Lots of good lake around for lakers and looking forward to get some this year..
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

What type of boat do you have? I went through the same dilemma when I moved out here from BC as I had an 18 foot welded aluminum boat setup for big lake trolling, but it wasn't all that great for other styles of fishing (it had a closed in bow, full windshield, gas kicker, etc.).

I decided to get rid of it before I moved out and I picked up a 16 foot tiller a year after we made the move. For me it was the right choice as the 16 footer is WAY more versatile for the fishing that I do out here. I do have downriggers, but I can also anchor and break out the fly rods, sneak into shallow water for bass, work shorelines with the electric, fish small lakes easily, and hit the bigger water when the weather cooperates. It can do pretty much everything.

I think it really depends on how you plan to fish. If the boat is big enough and you are a dedicated troller, you could easily park it down on Lake Ontario and just head down there for your trout and salmon kicks. A 2-3 hour drive easily gets you into that game. There are lakes much closer to Ottawa that have lakers (Charleston and Big Rideau for example), but the fishing on the big lake can be exceptional. There are also laker waters in New York/Vermont that you could hit, but I think you're looking at a few hours drive. I know nothing about laker waters over in Quebec or how far away they are, but I know they do have lots of nice water.

Depending on where you're coming from, you may find the fishing here ALLOT different than out west. I know I sure did. I was a trout bum back in BC and the transition has been challenging to say the least. Still can't get over fishing in 1-3 feet of water and catching stuff, LOL.
Mick_C
Participant
Participant

Post by Mick_C »

I have a 16 ft double eagle with a 85 hp and 9.9 kicker, It is the idea rig for out here (Van island) but i am feeling it may not be the best rig for in and around Ottawa. Trips to the big lake will be few and far between. I am really only thinking about keeping her for sea duck hunting on the east coast. I am still tossing around the idea of trying to sell it and buying a 16ft vmod Jon boat, Which will suit me better in Ottawa and again on the east coast for fishing and hunting.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Mick_C wrote:I have a 16 ft double eagle with a 85 hp and 9.9 kicker, It is the idea rig for out here (Van island) but i am feeling it may not be the best rig for in and around Ottawa. Trips to the big lake will be few and far between. I am really only thinking about keeping her for sea duck hunting on the east coast. I am still tossing around the idea of trying to sell it and buying a 16ft vmod Jon boat, Which will suit me better in Ottawa and again on the east coast for fishing and hunting.
A 16ft Double Eagle would be a fine boat for around Eastern ON. Good on smaller lakes, but especially stable on Big Rideau and even more so for the Ottawa River and St Lawrence, and Lake Ontario. Personally I prefer a lighter boat for trailering and I like my front deck but if you are ok without one, I would keep the boat.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Mick_C wrote:I have a 16 ft double eagle with a 85 hp and 9.9 kicker, It is the idea rig for out here (Van island) but i am feeling it may not be the best rig for in and around Ottawa. Trips to the big lake will be few and far between. I am really only thinking about keeping her for sea duck hunting on the east coast. I am still tossing around the idea of trying to sell it and buying a 16ft vmod Jon boat, Which will suit me better in Ottawa and again on the east coast for fishing and hunting.
I don't think that's too much boat at all if you're going to be on lakes like Charleston and the Big Rideau for example. You may want to try it out here first before you decide to sell.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mick_C
Participant
Participant

Post by Mick_C »

Thanks for the input guys, it is making the decision easier ! Just towing the boat there is going to pay for the gas for the entire trip (Cost move with the CF) so that also helps !
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Yeah, I'd try it out first and then make a decision.

The biggest thing I think you'd notice between the Double Eagle and a jon style boat, is how close you can get to the water with the latter. On the Double Eagle, you're "in" the boat. In the jon style, you're "on top" of the boat so to speak.

That's the best thing about my tiller with the raised front deck. It's super easy to cast from, you don't have gunnels to lean over to release a fish (unless you're in the back part of the boat, LOL), etc. Even when I was in BC that was one thing I hated about my 18 footer, it really wasn't conducive to casting. It was a trolling boat. It was great for that, but not as versatile as what I have now.

A guy really needs 2 or 3 different boats!
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

I think the only reason you'd want a closed bow around here is if you want to hit Lake Ontario regularly. If not I wouldn't consider it necessary for any other lakes around here other than in the worst possible conditions.