Early Fishing along the Rideau River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kanabetrumpet
Participant
Participant

Early Fishing along the Rideau River

Post by kanabetrumpet »

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were about fishing along the Rideau. I noticed in my area downtown that the ice is gone but the water levels are pretty high and the current is fast. Is it worth it to start fishing yet or am I just too keen? Would it be better if I made the trip to Manotick and Kars area? Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,

KT (I don't care what kind of fish it is, I'm just glad to catch it)
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Re: Early Fishing along the Rideau River

Post by frogin1998 »

I want to go as bad as you. But i checked the water couple days ago, the current is a little too fast.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Yeah it seems a bit dangerous actually to be too close to the water. Lots of chunks of ice floating by too
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

There are a few spots on the Rideau below current that have opened up and are fairly slow moving and ice free to shore. I was thinking of taking some of my remaining live minnows and seeing if there are any pike around. Am i wasting my time (i have never shore fished this early)? If not should I go bobber and shallow or put them near the bottom? I am also don't want to hit walleye since it is closed.

Thoughts?

Rod
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Peron wrote:There are a few spots on the Rideau below current that have opened up and are fairly slow moving and ice free to shore. I was thinking of taking some of my remaining live minnows and seeing if there are any pike around. Am i wasting my time (i have never shore fished this early)? If not should I go bobber and shallow or put them near the bottom? I am also don't want to hit walleye since it is closed.

Thoughts?

Rod
Rod, Pike are getting pretty close to spawning time so I would suggest finding a shallow weedy bay with open water if you want to target them now. Not sure how big your minnows are but the bigger the better. Even a huge dead bait on a quick strike rig under a bobber could be effective. Good luck.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Isnt pike season closed until the first Sat inMay?
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Here in FMZ18 Pike is open until end of March
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

smitty55 wrote:
Rod, Pike are getting pretty close to spawning time so I would suggest finding a shallow weedy bay with open water if you want to target them now. Not sure how big your minnows are but the bigger the better. Even a huge dead bait on a quick strike rig under a bobber could be effective. Good luck.

Cheers
I thought of the spot that i wanted to check today because I know the pike are spawning there in the spring and it is just off current. About a week of ice left unfortunately. I went to another less desirable spot with no luck. Angered a flock of Canada Geese, fell into a "bur" bush (still picking them off things), and lost a number of minnows to small ice flows. I kid you not, I thought a fish had taken my bait and was dragging my bobber only to realize that it was someone elses frozen into a chunk of Ice. I have no idea what the odds of that are but I think I need to start buying lottery tickets!

Oh well, I tried!

Rod
kanabetrumpet
Participant
Participant

Post by kanabetrumpet »

I went out the other day to test my luck too but didn't get any bites. I even checked out victoria island on the Ottawa after trying a few spots to see if it was open. The current today on the Rideau seems to be slower than it was earlier this week so hopefully if the weather holds up the water will get warmer and we can start catching fish in the next few weeks.
Cheers,

KT (I don't care what kind of fish it is, I'm just glad to catch it)