James Bay Region for Lakers & Quebec Reds

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
barney
Participant
Participant

James Bay Region for Lakers & Quebec Reds

Post by barney »

I want to fish lakes and streams for lake trout and Quebec reds or brook trout anywhere along the James Bay road or Trans-Taiga road. I have never been there but would like to try fishing in this part of northern Quebec. If anyone has any information that they are willing to share on road accessible fishing spots, please let me know. Outfitters are not in the budget. But I would use a guide that is familier in the region. I have my own boat. Thanks.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: James Bay Region for Lakers & Quebec Reds

Post by Troutskiii »

I would send Moosebunk a Pm he might be able to steer ya in the right direction......

Cheers
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

This area is on my list this year.
I too, have no idea where to go, yet I would also like to go it alone.

As a matter of fact, I just sent a text to a buddy this morning, to get his head around the idea.

Maybe we can share info, as we acquire it.
Cheers,
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
sinker
Participant
Participant

Post by sinker »

It is a wonderful trip, an easy 10 hours from Ottawa to the Rupert River where you will find a small camping area with a boat ramp.

You will find some excellent travel info on the James Bay Road website: http://jamesbayroad.com/jbr/jbrguide.html

For fishing regulations, please see the MRNF website, Zone 22 south and north. Essentially, nonresidents of QC can fish south of the 52 degree latitude without a guide; north of thus line you need a guide; and non-aboriginal peoples are allowed to fish in a corridor 10 km on each side of the hwy, beyond that you need to get a special permit from the Cree authority.

Cyril Chauquet, the Fishing Adventurer, has a good video on fishing for sea run trout in one episode at Waskaganish, and 2 other video on fishing in the Rupert River, and Quebec Abitibi Témiscamingue which you may find helpful. As well, if you search in the Quebec Peche forum (http://www.quebecpeche.com/forums/index ... e-parloir/) you will find some useful information on some of the main lakes, as well as fishing camps/lodges. I had the best success searching on the name of lakes on the forum.

We have made 2 trips to fish the Rupert River and Lac Mirabelli and caught walleye, pike (including a very large pike) and a few beautiful brook trout; but the trout were not plentiful by any means, however, I am not a very good fisherman either. There certainly were days when the walleye were very plentiful, but some days when they had lockjaw. We heard from others, more experienced fishermen, that the fishing is better further north and along the Trans Taiga Road; more remote = more fish, and that the better trout spots were further north.

The camping is excellent, essentially based on the infrastructure which had been built for the Hydro Quebec project, so there are gravel pads for campsites and boat ramps at both the Rupert River and Lac Mirabelli. Both sites are very lightly used. In fact, on the James Bay Road, you see perhaps a car/truck every hour or so, which means that you need to be self sufficient as help is a long ways away and $$$$$.

Hope this is helpful, and that you will have a wonderful trip.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Sinker,
Great information, thanks for taking time to post!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
barney
Participant
Participant

Post by barney »

Thanks for responding. I have been under the weather all week. Yes bed ridden a complete waste of time. I guess it's better to get it now and be rid of it when fishing starts.
I have studied the James Bay road site. They do talk about camp sites with lake access but no mention of fish species or lake depth. Some include pictures. I will check the Quebec peche site. I do know a few guys that go up there for walleye. They go 2 or 3 vehicles all towing boats and camp. They tell me there is no fishing like. That's what I want to do for Lake Trout and Brook Trout or Quebec Reds. As I mentioned earlier I would pay for a guide. They know the waters and what the fish bite on. If I get information other than from this site, I'd be glad to share it. Thanks
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

The Hudson Bay lowlands...the land is flat. I could be wrong about this but it wouldn't the first place I'd look for lake trout....pike and walleye yes.
...anything to bend the rod
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

scuro wrote:The Hudson Bay lowlands...the land is flat. I could be wrong about this but it wouldn't the first place I'd look for lake trout....pike and walleye yes.
To the west yes, east not so much Chris...

Those fisheries off the James Bay Highway and Trans Taiga would be interesting to visit. WarCanoe dying, next tinny will be a basic 14-footer or so for the Honda 15. That'd be a wicked drive to haul a boat up and go explore while camping out along the way. Will plan for it some summer, maybe.

Can't help with specifics, will look for your post down the road to see how you do.
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

Does anybody have any updates on this topic? I am about to leave towards James Bay for some wild kayak fishing on Friday morning ( no guide and no outfitters since they are out of budget and I really like to explore on my own). Thank you in advance for any fresh info.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Since I've never been to that neck of the woods before I don't have any useful info. to share, but I hope you have a great trip and look forward to anything that you might post about it.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

kingofbeasts wrote:Does anybody have any updates on this topic? I am about to leave towards James Bay for some wild kayak fishing on Friday morning ( no guide and no outfitters since they are out of budget and I really like to explore on my own). Thank you in advance for any fresh info.
This is a pretty quiet place anymore. I would suggest checking with OOD or OFC forums.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter