Salted minnows allowed?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
canam04
Participant
Participant

Salted minnows allowed?

Post by canam04 »

so this year has been very different for me. We lost our best bait shop and best bait shop owners in the Stittsville area late last year and this year I feel lost without them. I now have to get bait at shops that are out of my area so it is kind of a pain in the butt. I plan on just buying a couple dozen minnows and using them live until they start to die off. I want to salt them but have been told that salting minnows is illegal. I am not interested in using washer fluid or anything like that, I just want to know if salting minnows is allowed.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Salted minnows allowed?

Post by Yakster »

From what i understand salting is allowed...certain zones salted bait can't be over 5. 5"

I bought several dozen minnows from Serge 3 weeks ago.
down to my last 6 and they're still in great shape...just remove and add water every few days.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Get your minnows from Serge. http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48954

As for salting, bait sellers aren't allowed to salt bait but that's the only restriction I know of.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Salting is allowed and if you google it you can find some helpful step by step instructions with pics on how to do it. I have salted minnows in the past with success but the best thing I ever did was buy a cheap 10G tank with pump and filter and start trapping my own. Took some time to find a good spot but Iam always out fishing, hiking etc so it really wasnt too much extra effort and once you get a spot it should produce year after year. I got a spot that is close by and the minnows are there in the fall. I get 8-10 dozen before the ice forms and they last all season. This year I got my first batch the second week of Oct then got more in Nov and they are still alive and kicking.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Dunrobin Meat and Groceries also sells live minnows.

As for salted ones, I got some salted alewives at a Russian Deli (Lamomka on Baxter Rd.) which are really great bait. In a pinch, you can eat 'em.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Maple wrote:Dunrobin Meat and Groceries also sells live minnows.
I was wondering if Mike was gonna do that. He talked to me about it when he knew we were closing. Any idea where he's getting his bait? :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"