Secret spot survey"

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Secret spot survey"

Post by Peron »

I have spent a lot of time online looking for ice and I am not happy. This weekend will not help my cause. My go-to fishing spots have thin ice and I have tried some alternates with open water but my last three attempts have been skunks with a pleasant "white-out" mixed in. I have another shore spot that might cough up a fish with a drifting minnow that I will try in the RAIN tomorrow but I have been thinking about my happy secret spots after seeing netman's latest gigantors.
My last
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Secret spot survey"

Post by Peron »

Crap! I hit return.

What I meant to say was my last q and a left me entertained for a while so I was wondering about secret spots while I wait for ice. Here are the questions:

A) species
B) why it is secret

Mine is a saltwater striped bass location in Massachusetts under the nose of thousands of tourists. It produces from about 1 hour before sunrise to about one hour after. Last summer in a two week period I caught and released over 60 stripers that we're all over 24" including a big number over the 36" size. Known as far as I can tell to one local guy, and a young couple from upstate New York who were fishing, followed me and are now sworn to secrecy after two weeks where the four of us had a blast!

It is secret because it is right in the middle of a popular tourist spot... Heavily avoided by locals.

I think and dream about it every day. It is my happy place. I will go there as long as I can walk the distance.

And yours?

Rod
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I don't have any secret spots perse but I have found that, at some of my favourite spots, people use the wrong techniques or are too hard wired to try something different.

Many time when I am have a great day people come out and cast cranks for 20 minutes and then leave in frustration.

I always chat up those who are at spots that are new to me to understand the spot and offer advice (for what it's worth) to those who ask.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

.--/
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

zippyfx wrote:I don't have any secret spots perse but I have found that, at some of my favourite spots, people use the wrong techniques or are too hard wired to try something different.

Many time when I am have a great day people come out and cast cranks for 20 minutes and then leave in frustration.
Excellent point zippyfx! I must admit that my go-to spot when I want to catch a pike of any size has fisherman at it from dawn to dusk almost all season and is probably recognizable in some of my earlier posts. All about the lure or bait choice and the presentation.

Only reason I don't share Intel about that to the resident fisherman is that there is one guy who goes there virtually every day (I have never gone there on any day in the summer when he has not set up shop) and he walks away with whatever he catches. No spot can take that kind of pressure forever and I don't want him to add Pike to the list. I have actually stopped fishing when he drifted by after seeing me catch a fish.

BTW I was pretty hard wired at the beginning of this season but after some responses to posts I made I have really mixed up my approach a lot more based on location/condition/species/season. I still love my spinnerbaits.

Rod
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Personally I don't mind giving out most spots around here because they are not very secret. But If I trekked 3 hours into the bush to get me some trouties, my lips would be sealed tighter than a basses in a cold front :)