Oh Joy Oh Joy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by ShawnD »

StarTzar wrote:
Supernova224 wrote:There's a lot of talk about holding fish vertically, grabbing them by the lower lip, etc. I think this pic was the real take-away point from the article. Although I'm sure most people here already know this, and don't hold bass this way. Again though, not really based on any scientific research, but it makes sense.
Most people here also know to not grab them by the eyeballs .... no scientific research needed.

I know some old schoolers that do this.. Worst part is they release them because they don't eat pike or Bass, Walleye exclusively ..
But then again.. Same guys that chuck them in the woods or on a rock to fry. :roll:

Let's just all do our best to educate our fellow anglers ( the ones willing to listen ) and do our part.

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll argue 100% this isn't fruitless conversation. Just because you see no value in it doesn't mean some don't. Perhaps a few tournament organizers read this and FINALLY do something about the scheduling of events.

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:I'll argue 100% this isn't fruitless conversation.
Couldn't agree more Rob. Maybe to some people it's blah blah blah blah, but I find those are the ones who refuse to see both sides of a good constructive debate. Like most things, the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I would support this in any way I could. If the tournament series are moderating themselves, it is less likely that municipities or government agencies would get involved.

I am sure it would take some effort to get them together but I am sure it could be done and the benefits would be great.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Speaking on behalf of Bass Anglers Association here...
I will say that our club executive members typically wait for Renegade and Shootout to announce their schedules, plus we check out things like annual or bi-annual events (cigar boat races, Big Rideau vintage boat regatta, etc). All of this goes into our scheduling matrix and we attempt to stay at least 1 week away (2+ if possible) from any other events before or after our event, on all bodies of water.
We never hit the same lake twice in a year as that, to us, is over-doing it (Classic is an exception and is voted on by the club members every year).
We also ask all BAA members to respect the local boaters who aren't in the tournament, both ON THE WATER, and, at the launch/docks. Local boaters are waved through to launch or pull their boats out, and we've had very kind words from many many people for doing this.
If all tournament anglers showed some of this respect, I'm sure the tournaments wouldn't have such a bad rap amongst angry waterfront owners or recreational boaters. I'm not saying non-BAA anglers don't show this respect, but what I am saying is that we, as tournament anglers throughout the area, no matter the tournament or the series/club, should attempt to repair whatever wrongs have been inflicted on non tournament anglers as best we can, for the good of the sport.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:I'll argue 100% this isn't fruitless conversation. Just because you see no value in it doesn't mean some don't. Perhaps a few tournament organizers read this and FINALLY do something about the scheduling of events.

RJ
RJ

With all due respect. I never stated I saw no value in the post.
This has gone from tournaments draining the lakes of fish, making fishing awful to how to properly handle bass.

By fruitless I am saying in 8+ pages the topic has changed.

What will the organizers do?
How many Bass clubs do we have around here?
What scheduling would they do? They aren't going to all fish the same body of water on the same day.So I don't see what changes will be made. 4 clubs will fish the Miss on 4 different weekends is all. It still will take a beating.

I agree 100% its an issue but not sure how this thread has evolved from tourney schedules to proper holding techniques.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

No offense taken but I'm curious why it upsets you so much that the topic drifted into other subjects along the same lines. Isn't that how every conversation we have every day works? :lol: We have 3 mods for policing threads, we don't need topic policing. :lol:

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

True dat

Not upset at all.

Just my 2 cents. But you are right. Topics change.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

smitty55 wrote:...Like most things, the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Cheers
BANG!! This is the exact thing that many don't or refuse to see.

Craig
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

cprince wrote:
smitty55 wrote:...Like most things, the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Cheers

Craig

Well I looked on page 4.5 of this thread right in the middle and did not see anything there?? Am I missing something?? lol.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

almontefisher wrote:
Well I looked on page 4.5 of this thread right in the middle and did not see anything there?? Am I missing something?? lol.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Since tournaments seem to be an issue, I’m just questioning the possible end results of such a thread.

If someone was to step up, one with a great deal of integrity that could sway tournament decisions, would all organizations be willing to compromise sponsors, revenue and exposure?

IMO, the answer is no.

Although well intended, this thread will sink to the bottom, like all of them eventually do.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

TheMaverick wrote:Although well intended, this thread will sink to the bottom, like all of them eventually do.
Sure, this thread won't change anything. But sometimes the merit lies in just being able to have a discussion, and see different people's viewpoints.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

almontefisher wrote:
cprince wrote:

Cheers

Craig

you must sell insurance. you are being too literal
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

you must sell insurance. you are being too literal[/quote]

Where is the dick emoticon. Lol. Good one CN.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL