THE OH HELL WHAT A NIGHT REPORT

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

THE OH HELL WHAT A NIGHT REPORT

Post by almontefisher »

Well I was sitting at my desk working on some quotes day dreaming of a trip to my favorite evening haunt. Appleton!! Well the weather was calling for a ton of rain on Thursday and I was going to take out another non boater here on FH but we have moved plans to next week instead so here I am at my desk and my wife calls to say she is taking the kids to her friends for the evening and suggested I go out for a fish while they were out. Have I ever mentioned I love my wife.

Anyway work day ends and I grab the boat, fill up with gas and off to the launch. I was meeting two buddies there and one was going to be a bit late so the plan was to fish the bay until the other guy showed up. So launch the boat and head out to a usual spot we hit in the evening close to the launch so we can see when buddy pulls in. Just as we get to the spot and I drop the trolling motor down my other buddies phone rings. It is his wife. Ok I will cast while he is chatting. 1st cast 5 second soak of my wacky rig and BAM. Fish on. Well this is a great start to the evening. After a fast hit he came into the boat just as fast and sad to say but this guy was bigger than any fish I caught at the MS Bassin tourney..lol.

Another 3 casts later and another one on and my buddy is still on the phone.

Finally my buddy gets off the phone and throws in a cast and I would say BAM but it was more like a PLINK!! A massive 3" rock bass! He took that one so he wouldnt be skunked for the eve but he for some reason did not let me take a picture of it!! lol.

So finally I had 3 fish in the boat and my other buddy shows up. Race to the launch to get him and back out to the hot spot of the eve. Well it got a bit slow after that and we managed a few more bass and a few of these guys came to play as well.

So the oh hell what a night part comes now. We were getting near the end of the evening fish and I made a nice long cast along a weed line and got slammed by what I thought was a pike and I set the hook started to reel and CRACK!! WTF?? I am now holding the handle to my reel and reeling like mad but nothing is happeneing. Whats going on?? I look down and this is what is going on.

My reel handle exploded off the reel and what was really funny ( for my buddies not me ) was that I was holding the handle in my hand nowhere near the reel but I was still trying to reel in the fish on the other end of the line. Now what do I do?? Quick thinking amature that I am I drop the rod and reel to the deck of the boat and start to hand bomb in the biggest fish of the evening. After a few minutes of playing around with this fish not wanting him to break the line I manage to get him into the boat like a skilled pro.

So over all I had a 5 fish bag of almost 10lbs out of Appleton and only accomplished a 7.24lbs bag at the MS bassin..lol. Oh hell what a night!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: THE OH HELL WHAT A NIGHT REPORT

Post by Jimmy_1 »

What did Mark catch!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Friggen awesome on the Crappie! Such pretty lil' guys. And no pic of this Rockbass?
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hey Pete,
We keep missing each other lol I was out on the Miss last evening by myself and I have a pretty good outing. I did not invite anyone because I had some work to do at our cottage and I was not sure I would make it out fishing.
Once I got there though I know I would be fishing :)

Dave
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That Crappie makes me want to spend an evening chasing them darlins.

RJ
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Jimmy_1 wrote:What did Mark catch!

lol. Mark was not available..something about a ball and chain!! lol.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

almontefisher wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:What did Mark catch!

lol. Mark was not available..something about a ball and chain!! lol.
Heeheeeheee
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Sounds like it was a night to remember nice work.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice work, I had a reel implode from the inside while fighting the biggest fish of the day, I never saw it, it kept me so far out with nothing to do... broke my knot ..
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Fun report! Nice fish too. I had to laugh at the image of you continuing to reel in the fish with the broken-off handle! Too funny!

W.

PS: you owe your wife a night with the kids or dish duty, etc.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Wow, sounds crazy Peter.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Haven't had much luck in appleton :lol: