Oh Joy Oh Joy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by Haulin Bass »

TheMaverick wrote:
Haulin Bass wrote: You are entitled to your opinion. But as I follow this thread the OP has been accused of using blanket statements, and now being called ignorant. The personal hits I take with a grain of salt. I did not make these events up.If any one would care to point out a blanket statement that is not true and the ignorance aspects of the original post I would be glad to amend it
If you can't handle it, don't dish it out.

Do you know how many bags it would have taken this past Saturday on the Rideau to pick all them weeds up? :?

My point exactly concerning weeds
I can take it with the best of them but I fail to see anything that was dished out in the OP and am waiting to be shown
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

1) I have been on the Miss since 97

In that time tournaments and clubs etc have been the norm.

2) We get a lot of bass boats near our dock

We wave and say hello.

3) Solutions

Hate to say it but....if you get to a launch and see a ton of vehicles and see a tourney going on...go somehwere else....

If I were going to launch at Kars and see too much traffic then I'd head to Cardinal and drop in the Larry....

Rather than rant look for solutions...
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

It's unfortunate that this kindof did turn into a discussion on tournament fishing in general, which the OP clearly stated he had no issue with. As I recall, it was something to do with having a tournament on the same lake 3 weekends in a row...

It would be actually be pretty interesting if every guy in this thread who supports tournament fishing would straight up say they think there are zero issues with having a tournament on the same lake 3 weekends in a row.

ShawnD wrote:
Lenny wrote:However, as seen in this thread accusing tournament bass anglers of any wrongdoings usually leads to people getting very defensive.
And why shouldn't they?
I take offence when someone says tournament anglers stack dead fish under docks, etc..
Just because you take a statement as being directed at all tournament anglers does not mean that's how it was intended. When I say 'don't stuff your dead fish under the dock' it's certainly not directed at the many many tournament anglers who I know personally that would never do such a thing. It's obviously not directed at you. It's directed to the tournament anglers who stuffed their dead fish under the dock :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I deleted Bass Addicts post as it contributed zilch.

I did come up with a couple of suggestions but those were lost somewhere in the mix.

This is great discussion actually, if it opens a few eyes to what's going on with regards to our local waters it's a good thing.

It's funny. I've bumped in to a couple avid tournament anglers since this thread started and they wanted to talk about it just not in a public forum. They agree there is just too many events and the attendance or lack thereof is a sign of things watering down a bit.

RJ
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

RJ wrote:It's funny. I've bumped in to a couple avid tournament anglers since this thread started and they wanted to talk about it just not in a public forum. They agree there is just too many events and the attendance or lack thereof is a sign of things watering down a bit.
RJ
This is great news. You would think that anyone who loves the sport of tournament fishing would want to reduce any negative impact both on and off the water as much as possible. I know this is the case for most (not all as can be seen haha).
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I will outright state that 3 tournaments in a row on any lake would not be good.

My concern with the OP is more that it inconvenienced him than anything else. Sure he threw some other stuff in there about how stressed the fish would be but the way I read it was more about him than the fishery.

Just FYI, there seems to be two tournaments on Muskrat in September. OVSB will be there September 5th and there will be a fall tournament from another bassmaster group the following weekend.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

lape0019 wrote:Just FYI, there seems to be two tournaments on Muskrat in September. OVSB will be there September 5th and there will be a fall tournament from another bassmaster group the following weekend.
The one on Sept 12 is a "big fish every hour" tournament hosted by Valley Bass. Boats are not allowed to have more than one fish in the livewell at any time. This event has been held on this date for many years and is capped at 50 boats.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

It's a cool concept just like RJ's that I am honestly considering. As per the OP, it's still a tournament on a back to back basis. Just letting everyone know.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Thanks for the info
I do believe you are wrong
The Op was about 3 tournaments in a row.I would suggest you re-read it as it was a few posts back.
As for the best fish every hour format,imo it provides a better day for spectators and the anglers have a chance every hour for glory.More bang for the buck
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I read it before I posted. You stated "for the third weekend in a row" meaning there were3 back to back weekends that there was a tournament.

I am letting you know that there are two back to back weekends in September that I know of t(there could be a third that I don't know of) that there will be a tournament of sorts on Muskrat. I don't know where you draw the line on what constitutes a tournament or how many straight weekends it has to go to get you going on a rant but I figured I would provide the info just in case.
Last edited by lape0019 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Haulin Bass wrote:Thanks for the info
I do believe you are wrong
The Op was about 3 tournaments in a row.I would suggest you re-read it as it was a few posts back.
As for the best fish every hour format,imo it provides a better day for spectators and the anglers have a chance every hour for glory.More bang for the nice
Really?
Haulin Bass wrote:recreational angler gets to enjoy the roar of high hp motors the non stop waves in the lake, crowded fishing spots and plugged full boat launch all thanks to the never ending bass tournaments. The real thrill of these tournaments for me is watching the onslaught of boats screaming towards you at high speed hitting the wakes of the other boats and flying by you 20 yards away.. what a thrill......Oh and by the way some of you tournament people could have a little more concern where you have to pass close to another boat and slow the #$!* down !!!!
Haulin Bass wrote:Wow seem to have touched a few nerves here. Thanks for all your input. Forums are a great way to express frustrations and hear other points of view.As far as I can see some have missed the point being that the tournaments need to be controlled so that some lakes are not pounded weekend after weekend causing frustration for the other people that would like to use the lake for recreational purposes. Here is another broad sweeping comment that does not contain the words ALL,Everyone, etc. MOST, SOME people I have talked too are not really thrilled at the sight of a tournament going on on the lake they intended to utilize for what ever purpose
If your intent was the fishery and the impact of back to back tournaments on the same bodies of water, maybe you should of mentioned it from the start?
I have yet to read where anyone has stated that it does not harm the fishery and has a negative long term impact to the sport we all love.

Insinuating that only tournament anglers lack boating etiquette is hardly going to help the issue at hand.

I sure won't be the one to step up and act as a mediator between the ever growing bass tournament scene and dictate who fishes where and when.
Not sure how anyone would be able to restrain the Elite Series to be fished on the St-Lawrence...

Ban plastics, bag our weeds, set a max depth, boats pollute, reduce fishing hours....Yikes :?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

bradford2 wrote:
This is great news. You would think that anyone who loves the sport of tournament fishing would want to reduce any negative impact both on and off the water as much as possible. I know this is the case for most (not all as can be seen haha).
Obviously, at this point, you're wanting to rattle a few cages :roll:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Rod
Yes I can see your point that my comment was stereotyping... my apologies. It wasn't my intent to blanket every waterfront owner, in hindsight I should have been more clear.
I've had more issues with some waterfront owners than from bass tournament folk. Jealous... no, I already own waterfront.
Cheers

Fishing Rod wrote: As a waterfront home owner your "by far' comment I think is the most ignorant thing i have heard on this thread including the OP.
You see on idiot come running down his dock and acting like a asshat and you assume we are all the same.
This is the same stereotypical attitude that the OP had for tournament fisherman, and both are wrong.
If you read between the lines, it almost sounds like you are jealous.
Rant over.

The other comments I agree with.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

TheMaverick wrote:
bradford2 wrote:
Obviously, at this point, you're wanting to rattle a few cages :roll:
Um, no? :roll:

Deleted the rest and will leave it at that.... have a nice day.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

lape0019 wrote:I read it before I posted. You stated "for the third weekend in a row" meaning there were3 back to back weekends that there was a tournament.

I am letting you know that there are two back to back weekends in September that I know of t(there could be a third that I don't know of) that there will be a tournament of sorts on Muskrat. I don't know where you draw the line on what constitutes a tournament or how many straight weekends it has to go to get you going on a rant but I figured I would provide the info just in case.

Thanks again for the info, beachburger as well, as I did not know about the hourly one until mentioned here and I have done many searches for them. I still think it would be great for the clubs to get together and post there dates in one spot.Would really benefit anyone who is not involved with the tournament scene as well as anyone new, who would like to to try and get in to the open events. Contacting the Municipality has not been fruitful yet but i will keep trying

If nothing else at least people are in agreement that maybe some improvements can be made.
your intent was the fishery and the impact of back to back tournaments on the same bodies of water, maybe you should of mentioned it from the start?
Never did I say that was my full intent and again back to the start
If you look at the results posted from the clubs, add up the number of fish that have been removed from there habitat and stressed to a certain degree.
I will clear it up for you The original intent was to express MYfrustration at the amount of tournaments in a row on one body of water along with the recklessness of some of the participants (there was at least 4 boats that scared the shat out of me) and thirdly was the possible effects on the fishery. Other things blossomed from there ;) At times I look like a minnow in a sea of pike :shock:
Insinuating that only tournament anglers lack boating etiquette is hardly going to help the issue at hand.
Wow thats quite a statement show me where and I will kick my own butt