Shore fishing along Highway 7 - any suggestions?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shore fishing along Highway 7 - any suggestions?

Post by gerrymackenzie »

My wife and I will be on vacation the first week of September and will be going to visit our son in Toronto. We plan on taking a day and coming back to Ottawa along Highway 7...stopping along the way to dip the lines and see what is out there. We will not have a boat so I'm looking for suggestions as to where to stop along the way and do some shore fishing.

Thanks

Gerry
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shore fishing along Highway 7 - any suggestions?

Post by campnfish »

I suggest stopping at most bridges and firing a few casts underneath to see what you can stir up. Usually a decent bass is waiting. It would be also worthwhile to see if a quick left or right off the 7 would bring you to a crossing that might not get fished too often.

We used to stop in front of the white lake fish hatchery around the Sharbot lake area. There was a little opening in the reeds outside the gate where, for whatever reason, trout would congregate. Haven"t been in years, might be worth checking out.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Silver lake is a great Hwy 7 stop and easy access. Also marmora has a nice park by the river and just off 7 near marmora is crowe lake which has a few spots off the road to fish at.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

to ad to almontefishers suggestion.
McGowan Lake just east of Silver Lake has some decent-ish pike in it for the size of lake it is.
I've only ever fished the east end of it, had good luck there so didn't venture any further.
Dekker500
Participant
Participant

Post by Dekker500 »

I'll second the idea of Silver Lake. Love it there. Just a note that from the roadside picnic area, the section along the right-hand side (near the ramp) is a bit deeper, while everything else is relatively shallow (3-4 feet). Pike, Small/Largemouth, Bluegill are to be had in the area.
pinerider
Participant
Participant

Post by pinerider »

I cottage on Silver Lake, it's good for bass and pike. Just before the rest area entrance on hwy 7 is good for some shallow water bass. Another good spot is just west of Sharbot Lake, turn right on 509, then turn at first right. You can access Round Lake (north of 7) and Twin Lakes (south of 7) from the K&P trail.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Thanks for the suggestions folks. We will post a wrap up when we return home.

Gerry