Invasive Species

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Invasive Species

Post by Lunker Larry »

From your FMZ 12 Committee

You can Help monitor invasive species that are threatening our fisheries!

Watch for and Report Invasive Species in both Ontario and Quebec.

There are Apps so you can look up invasive species and report sightings using your smart phones or tablets!

Check out the information on each species available on these sites!

Zebra mussels, gobies, water chestnut, rusty crayfish….are easy to identify.

Watch for these and other species along the Ottawa River, its tributaries and other places you fish or boat!

Ontario Invading Species Awareness Program: http://www.invadingspecies.com/

If found in Ontario report them at: http://www.eddmaps.org/ontario/

If found in Quebec report them at:  https://www.pub.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/SCC/D ... ack-button

An invasive species field guide is attached; don’t print it, its long but it makes a great electronic reference on your smart phone, computer or tablet.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Invasive Species

Post by zippyfx »

Will do.... Have there been any reports of Gobbies in the Ottawa? I catch them at will in the St. Lawrence but have not caught any up here.
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

I have a big sticker with all the common invasives on one of my tackle boxes, super important if you ever catch something youre not too sure about!
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

zippyfx wrote:Will do.... Have there been any reports of Gobbies in the Ottawa? I catch them at will in the St. Lawrence but have not caught any up here.
Haven't got by the hydro dams (yet)!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

For me, if it's not a Bass, it's invasive. :wink:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

StarTzar wrote:For me, if it's not a Bass, it's invasive. :wink:
All those pesky pike and musky getting in the way of the bass fishing lol :P
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

zippyfx wrote:Will do.... Have there been any reports of Gobbies in the Ottawa? I catch them at will in the St. Lawrence but have not caught any up here.
Interestingly, last spring I went to Sandbanks with the wife in late May. The ice had recently completely melted, and the beach was covered in dead gobbies and millions of crushed zebra mussel shells.

What I find interesting, is that the long winter and thick ice may have caused some anoxic conditions. Native species may be used to this, and are able to adapt. However, invasives may not be evolved for such extreme environments.

I wonder if back to back extreme winters may have a serious effect on the populations of Gobby, and Zebra mussles?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

[quote="Canmoore"

Interestingly, last spring I went to Sandbanks with the wife in late May. The ice had recently completely melted, and the beach was covered in dead gobbies and millions of crushed zebra mussel shells.

What I find interesting, is that the long winter and thick ice may have caused some anoxic conditions. Native species may be used to this, and are able to adapt. However, invasives may not be evolved for such extreme environments.

I wonder if back to back extreme winters may have a serious effect on the populations of Gobby, and Zebra mussles?[/quote]

Interesting.... From various sources.....

" In the Black and Caspian Seas, gobies generally inhabit the nearshore area, although they will migrate to deeper water (up to 60 meters [197 feet] depth) in winter."

" After 142 days of starvation under simulated winter conditions, round goby exhibited 96% survival. "

They should be able to go much deeper.... I wonder if they just happen to be caught in a shallow spot and got caught in the colder than normal water. Either that or they passed their starvation point.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

zippyfx wrote:
Interesting.... From various sources.....

" In the Black and Caspian Seas, gobies generally inhabit the nearshore area, although they will migrate to deeper water (up to 60 meters [197 feet] depth) in winter."

" After 142 days of starvation under simulated winter conditions, round goby exhibited 96% survival. "

They should be able to go much deeper.... I wonder if they just happen to be caught in a shallow spot and got caught in the colder than normal water. Either that or they passed their starvation point.
Yeah I think that gobies, and zebra mussels are not very well adapted to 90%+ ice cover for 3-4 months of the year. From what I have read, only the coast areas of the Black sea freeze over, and only the northern section of the Caspian sea freezes over. These are also very large bodies of water.

The great lakes are relatively smaller bodies of water. So the anoxix conditions become much more profound when they freeze over, and wind is unable to penetrate O2 back into the system. Then decaying organic material uses up available oxygen, and O2 levels in lakes will drop. Native fish have adapted to slow down there metabolism during these months. Perhaps these gobies were operating on a metabolism that required more 02 and food than what was available?

These past two winters were the coldest in 20 plus years, February was the coldest February in 115 years! I sure hope that invasives that are not used to these extremes conditions, will take a hit!