Ice fishing Nation River near 417

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice fishing Nation River near 417

Post by scarkner »

When I drive by the Nation River near Cassleman I can see a few huts out there. I was thinking of stopping on my way past on Wednesday to wet a line for an hour.

Whats the best way to get on the ice at the Nation River near the 417?

I see that Rainville Road passes underneath the 417 right beside the river and looks like level access. Is there a place to park there and walk onto the ice, or can someone suggest a better spot? I will be in work clothes so really want to get close, or preferably even park right on the ice.

Thanks!!!
Aube
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice fishing Nation River near 417

Post by Aube »

There's a parking lot right off St Isidore close to where the Castor Meets the Nation. You can either park and walk or drive to the end of the lot and pull right onto the ice by going under the creek bridge. I fit through it with my Tundra a couple weeks ago.

Marty
SMITZGOTTHIS
Participant
Participant

Post by SMITZGOTTHIS »

Hey buddy, so I tried to draw you a little map, across the river of Rainville Road is the 650 (st isidore St) there you can drive on to the river. If you don't feel like driving on the river, your able to park in the parking lot there and there is a sign that's says (parking ice access). Let me know if you have any other questions buddy.

Ty
Attachments
cassleman.png
cassleman.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4424 times
SMITZGOTTHIS
Participant
Participant

Post by SMITZGOTTHIS »

Aube wrote:There's a parking lot right off St Isidore close to where the Castor Meets the Nation. You can either park and walk or drive to the end of the lot and pull right onto the ice by going under the creek bridge. I fit through it with my Tundra a couple weeks ago.

Marty

Lol you beat me to it Marty...
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

SMITZGOTTHIS wrote:Hey buddy, so I tried to draw you a little map, across the river of Rainville Road is the 650 (st isidore St) there you can drive on to the river. If you don't feel like driving on the river, your able to park in the parking lot there and there is a sign that's says (parking ice access). Let me know if you have any other questions buddy.

Ty
Wow, thanks. On the satellite it looks like private land, wouldn't have thought to even try there!

Love Fish-Hawk, Thanks!

Now just crossing my fingers that my meeting in Montreal are over early enough in the day that I can sneak out there on my way back to Ottawa :lol:
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Great to see the sharing boys keep up the great work!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I to saw this on the way to Montreal this past weekend.

Looked like a lot of traffic on a very narrow stretch of water.

My question is more.....what bites in there????
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Aube
Participant
Participant

Post by Aube »

Jimmy_1 wrote:I to saw this on the way to Montreal this past weekend.

Looked like a lot of traffic on a very narrow stretch of water.

My question is more.....what bites in there????
Just about every sport fish that you'll find in that link. I've been fishing the nation from Casselman to Chrysler for about 6 years now, I find the key to the bite on the Nation be the water level/current. If the water is running over the dyck in Casselman I don't both going out anymore.

Another option is to park on the side of Rainville rd and fish to the east of the 417 overpasses or park on Laval Street near the park and walk west. I haven't had much luck near the point this year, there's a lot of people stacked in one place. I'm finding the bite to be much better east of the 417 bridges in about 20 ft of water, you'll find the odd walleye and a lot of good size perch.

Marty
anosh
Participant
Participant

Post by anosh »

Nice post
We are the leading the world in learnalanguage - german language course best certkiller gre and learn portuguese brazil prep solutions. Our The University of Auckland offers for passguide
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Were do you ice fish for brown trout in that stretch?
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

--
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I wanted to thank you all again for the great advice. Sadly my meetings in Montreal ran long and so it was pitch black (not to mention windy and snowing) by the time I got to Casselman with no time to stop. BUT - Now I know where to go next time I am through that way. It also looks like an interesting place to stop in the summer!

Itching to try it now!