Fishing in Punta Cana

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishing in Punta Cana

Post by Troller »

Hi I am heading to Punta Cana DR within the next month for a vacation. I am wondering if anyone has ever fished there. I am not sure I am going to go fishing when I am there but I would like to hear about any experiences anyone has had with charters and what options might be available there. This board has always been a good source of information for me regarding my questions on this topic.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing in Punta Cana

Post by StarTzar »

Wow lucky you. Fishing in Punta Cana.
That would qualify you as a Fair Weather Fisherman. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Bring a light travel rod and fish the reefs around the resort on a kayak or what ever. Many many beautiful fish. You buy Daiwa Minispin at Le Baron for about $30.00 (http://www.daiwa.com/travelkit/pop_ms.aspx). Leave the case at home and pack the rod in your luggage.

If your thinking of bigger quarry bring a saltwater safe reel (or a disposable one) and ask one of the staff to get you a rod, tip them $10, you will be surprised what they can find for you.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I recently did some ocean fishing in the Yucatan Peninsula. Couple of tips I can give from my shore fishing experiences: def bring a salt water reel, or at the least a waterproof one. The cheapy one I brought lasted one week. Even showering it off and keeping care of it, it rusted and basically imploded.
:evil:
I had to grab a new reel that was worth maybe ten bucks for $30.00 US, which was a tad painful. But the reel was pre-strung with mono and I found out that mono was much easier to navigate for multiple uses in salt water over braid. I just made sure to use metal leaders.

Also, two guys who I met over my stay, that were also shore fishing, that were using meat as bait did MUCH better than me. They were catching 'cudas like crazy. One guy took fish and chicken from the buffet and 'ripened' it on his balcony. Whilst smelly - he outfished me 10-1 :P

Also, pay attention to the tides. Fishing an hour or so before high or low tide produces more fish since the current sweeps the baitfish inwards and the bigger fish take advantage of this.

Have a blast!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

A bunch of friends are in Punta Cana right now for a wedding. I couldn't afford to go because of my upcoming wedding but the just sent me some pics of some Mahi Mahi they were catching from a boat. These buddies aren't the hardcore fishing type like a lot of us on F-H but I think they just may have asked someone at the resort about a charter and ended up going out on a pretty nice looking boat. I'll find out more information when they get back this weekend and let you know.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I am heading to Punta Cana at the end of February with some friends and the guys have talked about taking a Charter to do some fishing. There is lots of information on the web, here is one that seems to get good reviews on trip advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Re ... an_Re.html It would be nice to hear first hand from any Fish Hawkers that have taken a Charter in Punta Cana.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Nighttroller one thing that you will notice in Punta Cana is that it is very windy all the time there. A few years back when I was there friends of mine took a charter out of Bavaro Beach and he said never again. They went out for 4 hours, they caught 3 fish in between 10 people. And they spent most of their time over the side of teh boat puking because of all the waves. Hopefully you get a calm day. You might have a better time going on a Sanoa Island excursion. Crystal clear waters, great seafood BBQ on the beach and lot's of free flowing rum.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Pay for a charter... Dont pay more than 80$ per person, thats what i paid. I went in may and we caught 2 mahi mahi between 8 people, i was told we would be 6 max(i paid for 4).. When you get on boat shoe interest with yhe outriggers and stand close to hot seat... When there was a bite they threw me in seat... I spent 25 mins reeling in mahi mahi... Ive heard of guys catching 10 in a day in january... Our stomachs were bad, only my gf puked... I find the rhum they provide straightened me out!

I have shore fished down south with a 4500 sized spinning, a travel rapala bahal from lebaron, some giant lucky strike silver spoons and some 6 inch 3 ounce poppers... 25lb mono and metal leader... Or 50 braid with metal leader... Your choice! Drag does the rest with cudas...

Ive never caught anything with deadbait, livebait underbobber from shore, and i have tried...Spoon and popper worked for me...ive never been able to take a kayak out... And i have tried.. Just saying... Good luck!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

There are numerous medications for sea sickness. The trick is to start taking it at least 24 hrs before you go out. Also, have something with ginger on hand. It is amazing at settling your stomach, though I don't think it would go good with rum.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Thanks for all of the information guys! I am not sure I am going but is is good to know what my options might be if I do.
Cheers,
Dave
Hooked-Fish
Participant
Participant

Post by Hooked-Fish »

Guys I don't know nothing about shared fishing in Punta Cana.. We booked private fishing charters with Big Marlin Charters. Awesome fishing both times. They are have really fresh boats and top notch crew.. paid $550 for 4hrs.https://bigmarlinpuntacana.com