Why are Splake so Finicky?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Why are Splake so Finicky?

Post by arnpriormike »

Every time I read information about Splake, it's always the same thing. "Splake grow fast and are easy to catch. By far the easiest trout to ice fish." Well...... I beg to differ.
With my experience, they are to most stubborn fish to catch. I have tried fishing shallow to deep water, bottom to just under the ice. Jigging and dead-sticking. Countless lures and techniques. And of course, different lakes.
I have had people tell me, "The Splake aren't biting yet."
When do they bite?.....at night? That's the only time I haven't fished for them!

Do you guys find splake to frustrating to fish, or is it just me.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Why are Splake so Finicky?

Post by Troutskiii »

From my personal experience and all I fish for is trout for the most part(browns, bows, specks, lakers,) Splake are by far the easiest out of the bunch to catch, aggressive and they bite anything. If I get skunked for specks I usually swing by a splake lake on my way out and it's almost a gurantee to catch a few.

Not sure why your having issues? I tend to throw a minnow on and let it do its thing or jig with a spoon/minnow.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

arnpriormike wrote: Do you guys find splake to frustrating to fish, or is it just me.
Not just you. We've hit so many no-fish splake lakes that we have a saying "Splake don't really exist".When I try to get my friends to go to a splake lake, they claim it's a mythical fish.

We have much better luck with lakers and brook trout, both natural lakes and stocked lakes.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

I commonly fish the same as everyone else. No luck.
I was at a lake last weekend. Surprisingly there were 5 other people that made their way to the lake and fished all day. (I was there first!!!) They all got skunked too. I was talking to one of the other guys and he expressed the same thing. "When they are off, they are off. When they bite, buy a lottery ticket!"

Maybe the lakes have a lot of feed and the fish don't bite as often?