Advice please

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Advice please

Post by coolspiderdude »

Morning everyone,

Need some advice from the group on my next mini trip. Typically, every year, a few friends and I head to Crotch lake for a fall walleye trip. We love crotch because it has boat in sites, beautiful lake..and once in a while a fish :lol: Anyone who has fished that lake regularly, will likely give the same report. great spot..not the best fishing around. This year, we wanted to try a different spot, and we were thinking Quebec, but not too far. I started researching ZEC Pontiac and it sounded like just the place...but it closes Sept. 14th (we are going up 2 weeks after that), so it leads me the following questions. Can you guys recommend a place with the following criteria:
1). boat in only spot (I want to be away from people and not have to worry about sound, the dog etc.)
2). fish (of course), but preferably, Walleye
3). within 3-4 hours of ottawa

No honey holes needed, just general info etc. It's 70% as boys weekend to be out, and if we catch something for the pan..then bonus!

thanks in advance!
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Re: Advice please

Post by flewdogg »

The North Frontenac website has a lot of lakes with boat-in sites. I believe they're the same outfit who manage Crotch Lake reservations. I camped/fished at Long Schooner (as well as the connected lake, Round Schooner) in early June. No walleye there though, just bass, pike and laker (year round season for the latter). Beautiful lakes and great island campsites. All your criteria except the walleye! Do some research on Google about lakes in that area that might have walleye and you're laughing.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

flewdogg wrote:The North Frontenac website has a lot of lakes with boat-in sites. I believe they're the same outfit who manage Crotch Lake reservations. I camped/fished at Long Schooner (as well as the connected lake, Round Schooner) in early June. No walleye there though, just bass, pike and laker (year round season for the latter). Beautiful lakes and great island campsites. All your criteria except the walleye! Do some research on Google about lakes in that area that might have walleye and you're laughing.

Fleww: A few walleye were caught this year from Long Schooner actually so it might fit perfect for the trip scenario. I camp there a few times a year myself and there are sites right as you pull in or you can go to one of the 12 island and boat in sites which are mainly in Round Schooner. The channel from Long to Round is very eventful with some obstacles to avoid but as long as you go easy and watch the water you will be fine. I would give a 8 out of 10 for a great spot to camp and fish.

The other option would be to fish Mosque lake for trout and my brother built a boat in camp site on one of the islands there. He had a kitchen area built and a nice firepit with some swing seats etc but if they are all still there is another question. It has been two years since I stopped on the island to check it out.

Last place to try would be the Quebec side of the Ottawa near Deep River Chalk River area. Some very nice sand beaches you can camp on and they are away from the crowds most of the time.

Good luck
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

If you want fall walleye a couple of hours from Ottawa, you should consider the Bay of Quinte. When the fish come in, it's unbeatable for quantity and size. It's not remote but the bay's big enough your not going to be bumping into people. There's lots of good ramps, accommodations, food, bait and help if you need it. I love the idea of fishing on northern lakes away from people, but I also like catching fish. I've fished Crotch Lake and it's beautiful but the fish can be few. Trouble is not being a local, if you don't know where the fish are, you don't have enough time to find them. I don't have unlimited funds for touring the country side so I'm going to he bay. Finding the fish is as simple as watching to the Charter boats down around Picton. These guys fish everyday and follow the fish. I did do some fall fishing near Caramat Ont. and it was fantastic but it's also $400 in gas one way and a 16 hrs. drive.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Lake Traverse in Algonquin Park...... it has walleye, bass and musky. You can drive to it and launch a boat. I believe it has a horsepower restriction though. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

We went to Lac Bryson,above Fort Colounge,this year.We rented a cottage on a lake about 30-45 min. by boat from the lodge.Caught 32 walleye,1 pike and a laker.
Check it out.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

thanks for the great advice guys! A few responses:
- Quinte is already in the works for October, can't wait!!! It will be my first time there
- Schooner is a great suggestion as I am already familiar with the area and the "feel" of those lakes..and some Wally's..hmmm
- Algonquin..had no idea there were any Walleye in that area, now you got me thinking, have to check the HP (I only have a 9.9)
- Bryson that's funny as we have a cabin at lac jim, just up the road from Bryson, had no idea they had Walleye up there, how come we have none at but it looks like I could not camp and I want to camp out, so maybe a day trip to check them out in the future!
- I am curious about the Ottawa river suggestion. Are there designated sites? I dont think I could simply pull up to a beach...could I?

Still undecided, so anyone else, suggestions are very welcome!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I think it is as simple as that Cool. Just set up shop and camp. At least that is what I had done a few times and was never questioned or stopped to see if I had a permit or anything. maybe someone else can chime in on the Ottawa thing.

ORWL
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

almontefisher wrote:I think it is as simple as that Cool. Just set up shop and camp. At least that is what I had done a few times and was never questioned or stopped to see if I had a permit or anything. maybe someone else can chime in on the Ottawa thing.
I checked the Crown Land Atlas: http://www.giscoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/web/ ... iewer.html
Occasionally I have seen people camping on the beach at Upper Duck Island on the Ottawa (just across from the Blair Road launch) but the Atlas says it's private land. I think it is owned by the NCC. You probably aren't allowed to camp there but I doubt they check often. There are also a few islands at the south end of Mississippi Lake that are definitely Crown land and I don't see why you couldn't camp on them.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

flewdogg wrote:
almontefisher wrote:I think it is as simple as that Cool. Just set up shop and camp. At least that is what I had done a few times and was never questioned or stopped to see if I had a permit or anything. maybe someone else can chime in on the Ottawa thing.
I checked the Crown Land Atlas: http://www.giscoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/web/ ... iewer.html
Occasionally I have seen people camping on the beach at Upper Duck Island on the Ottawa (just across from the Blair Road launch) but the Atlas says it's private land. I think it is owned by the NCC. You probably aren't allowed to camp there but I doubt they check often. There are also a few islands at the south end of Mississippi Lake that are definitely Crown land and I don't see why you couldn't camp on them.

Good call Fleww on Miss Lake. Yes there is a few islands in the big lake that are crown land and you could. Where I camped again on the Ottawa was near Chalk river area on the Quebec side. If I knew how to attach a google map on here I would but alas I can not figure it out. :oops:

ORWL
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

You can go to reservoir baskatong. Look up pourvoirie Tawanipi. I went there for three nights last weekend, 6 guys and we caught two huge meals of walleye. The fishing was not amazing but we did fine...

If you want to camp, all the shorelines are crown land. If you go to pourvoirie tawanipi, you can rent a cottage, no issues of getting rained out. Or I'm guessing if you call, they might let you park your truck there and head out on boat. IF not, pointe à David might be a place where you can park your truck too...MAke sure you buy you baskatong fishing right,,,like 5$ per day...

Make sure you bring button bouncers, inline spinners and worms. That what they bit on...You can troll it or drift... Look for them in 20-30 feet of water and with navionics you are golden. It took us a day to find them but after that we did well. To guys with navionics on three boats with three finders...

Good luck!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

check out this camping trip report

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php? ... er#p371364

I am very familiar with the area and the beaches in this report. You can pull up and camp on this stretch at your leisure. Lots of fall walleye to be had on that stretch of the river.

Mick
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

thank you guys for all the great tips! I now have 5-7 areas that I must explore!!! Both Traverse and Baskatong have been added to the must visit site and I already have a quick day trip planned to the area of the Ottawa that was mentioned to explore a bit. I think we are going to head up to Schooner, primarily because of familiarity with the area (I expect the terrain / water will be very much like Crotch) and the distance (the others are just a bit too far for a quick 2 night trip).

thanks again for the resposnes! Some of you may get a PM from me for more details.

Tight lines to all!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

coolspiderdude wrote:thank you guys for all the great tips! I now have 5-7 areas that I must explore!!! Both Traverse and Baskatong have been added to the must visit site and I already have a quick day trip planned to the area of the Ottawa that was mentioned to explore a bit. I think we are going to head up to Schooner, primarily because of familiarity with the area (I expect the terrain / water will be very much like Crotch) and the distance (the others are just a bit too far for a quick 2 night trip).

thanks again for the resposnes! Some of you may get a PM from me for more details.

Tight lines to all!

I can help out with Schooner if you need some info Cool. Just let me know.

Cheers

ORWL