Parking Permits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishboch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Parking Permits

Post by fishboch »

I've been meaning to post this for a while to see if any other members have heard or know anything about this.

I was out at the Claybank launch for the musky opener back at the beginning of June.
My buddy met me there in his truck and I had my truck and trailer.
Fished all day but no luck, get back to the parking lot and my buddy has a parking ticket on his window !!!
He was the only one in the whole parking lot.
I assumed they targeted him because he didn't have a trailer.
It said something to the effect: Warning - Failure to display valid permit
So we're both thinking WTF!!!

The next time I see him he said he called to inquire about this ticket.
He was told that there is a $50.00 permit required for Claybank, Braeside and Robert Simpson Park !!!

As he stated to me, there are no signs anywhere, there has been no notification or media about a new permit and there is nowhere to actually buy a permit so how can they be issuing tickets ?

Has anyone else been ticketed at any of these locations or is anyone aware of this new permit they are talking about ?
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Parking Permits

Post by Bass Addict »

Some local jealous Misfit playing a joke on ya :idea:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by rustyhook »

yes both Mcnab and Horton now charge for all there boat launches. Not sure why as they certainly don't put any money into the Horton launch.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I don't understand how they can fine someone when their is no signage and /or a pay box for non-local fishermen. Makes no sense. I would fight that one...

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

smitty55 wrote:I don't understand how they can fine someone when their is no signage and /or a pay box for non-local fishermen. Makes no sense. I would fight that one...

Cheers

x2
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I was just talking to a bud that was there this week and fishes there a lot. There was a problem there last year with people parking and blocking the turn-around for trailered boats, so there are now two signs "No parking between these two points" installed. Perhaps that's why your bud got a ticket. Still makes no sense that they wouldn't have signage if permits are required. Even then, it would be counter to the tourism industry to require seasonal permits for all users in the first place.

Maybe Terry can figure this out. He must know the right people.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

They were doing every vehicle in the lot no matter where you parked. If they start charging they should be putting in an actual ramp.
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yes there is a fee.

It is $5.00 a day to use launch and $3.00 a day to park.

You can buy your permits at Whitelake Store, Countryview Mini-mart and Robin's (Stinsons gas) in Braeside.

Source: Recreation Manager, Braeside-McNab Township.
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Yes there is a fee.

It is $5.00 a day to use launch and $3.00 a day to park.

You can buy your permits at Whitelake Store, Countryview Mini-mart and Robin's (Stinsons gas) in Braeside.

Source: Recreation Manager, Braeside-McNab Township.

I was down at clay bank a week ago and havnt seen sign yet.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I called the township 15 minutes ago to confirm this and get stores where permits can be purchased.

By all means park there without a permit. When you're fined it'll be "told ya so".

$5.00 isnt much and the town is working toward having a proper dock put it.
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

Jimmy_1 wrote:I called the township 15 minutes ago to confirm this and get stores where permits can be purchased.

By all means park there without a permit. When you're fined it'll be "told ya so".

$5.00 isnt much and the town is working toward having a proper dock put it.

I was just talking to the twp and they said that until the signs are up you don't have to pay. So I think I'll put my hard earned money towards more fishing gear!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well Jason,

Not to argue with you but I also spoke with them.
It seems you and I got conflicting information.

They advised me that you needed to buy your permit (I listed locations for purchase above)

Knowing this I personally will get the pass if launching at Claybank. $5 beat a $50+ parking violation.
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by rustyhook »

Well this is a bit FUBAR in McNab. One of the stores you listed does not have permits and has never even been approached to sell them. If they aren't going to do this right and have someone at each boat launch collecting money then don't do it at all. Trying to cheap out and just make it a huge mess doesn't seem worth $5 to me. Just another reason for people not to visit Arnprior/McNab IMO. There was nothing wrong with it being free considering the shape all of them are in. If there was good washroom facilities/docks and launch then yes sure charge but not until then. Not worth losing tourists, fishermen over.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

So can somebody get an email response from them and post it on here with the proper info?? No offence to any of you but until it is in writing I do not listen to hear say. I am sure Jimmy got the answers he did but it also sounds like differing advise from them. A very specific email reply with the info goes a long way. First off we have documented proof not just word of mouth and second, in the event of a ticket that email may help someone out of a big ticket.

Does anyone have a contact they could try? That will stop all this back and forth he said she said crap.!!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I spoke with Geoff Patterson who is the Recreation's Director for Braeside-McNab townships.

He apologizes for the confusion and gave me his blessing to report this.

A month ago they were handing out warnings to advise that they would be charging launch fees in the near future.

The signs are made up and are yet to be erected. Until the signs are up there is NO CHARGE to park and launch.

He could not give me a definitive date for when this will happen but the signs are in his office.

Hope this helps to clarify. You can also call him if you wish to confirm this.

I would however, start taking $5 with me just in case.