The never ending winter

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

The never ending winter

Post by Fishoholic »

It has been one looooong ice fishing season. Here is a recap of mine so far:

Started off with the first outing on Dec. 9, 2013. My fishing partner and I (Hunter my dog) started off by targeting some walleye. We managed to ice 10 with 2 being in the slot size. He loves to lick fish.

Next up was some boxing day brookies. Man what a trek to get into this lake. We made it half way in only to realize there was too much snow for the ATV so we turned around and tried to get to another lake. Well luck would have it that this trail was too snow covered as well so we turned back around and tried again to make it to the first lake. We made it within a couple KMs of the lake so we ditched the ATV and made the rest of the trek on foot in knee deep snow. Well it sure paid off with 24 brookies hitting the ice between the 2 of us, in only a couple of hours. Here are the ones that made it to the dinner plate:

Up next was lakers. I managed to hook into 3 and my buddy got one. All around 3-4 pounds and the highlight was both my lines getting hit one right after the other.

There were mutliple outings on the Ottawa river that produced a bunch of perch and walleye but nothing really picture worthy. One highlight was getting out with my 5 year old nephew, even though we didn't get any until he left.

We also came across a seagull that had seen better days. Appears as thought it met its match with some kind of bird of prey:

Spent a day fishing for pannies with Chevy. Not really a fan of pan fishing but we had a blast catching blue gill, perch, a walleye, some accidential OOS bass and some crappie. Chevy managed to catch a nice slab worthy of a couple photos:

The last weekend spent two seperate days chasing lakers on two different lakes. First day it was just me and the dog with only a couple other souls on the lake that is usually jammed packed. Managed to ice one laker but ended up snapping the tip of my rod.

The 2nd day was spent with a couple of buddies and we took their skidoos into a more remote laker lake and what a blast. We managed to ice 9 lakers between the 3 of us with me getting 8 of them. We also lost a bunch of others ones and I had one break me off. It was an awesome day spent with great company.

Image[/URL

[URL=http://s326.photobucket.com/user/orcuttoutdoors/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2900_zpsb2b27275.jpg.html]Image

Also got to spend a bunch of days on the ice with fellow F-hawkers like Marko, Chevy, Fishin Mission and Choke. There are still a few weekends left to chase fish on the ice and I'll be taking full advatange of it. Good luck out there and stay safe as spring approaches.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: The never ending winter

Post by fishin mission »

Awesome post Brad looks like you had a good winter and hopefully these last few days are good to you..... love the bacon wraps yummy!!

you should of called your dog eye licker :lol: :lol: :lol:
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Wow, great season for ya Brad!!! Trout and walleye, my favourite fish to chase. Looks like you definitely have those lakers under your spell. Too bad we never got out on the ice this year but since we last spoke, I never got out your way... I've been fishing much closer to home recently.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

-//
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Some nice fish Fishoholic....my dog also has never found a fish that he hasn't liked! If your up my way sometime, we should get out for a fish.
trouthunter
Participant
Participant

Post by trouthunter »

Great season man.
Looks like you did pretty good.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Making the most of, as you put it, the looooong ice season! Great report. :D

I'd imagine either a snowy owl or an eagle got that unfortunate gull.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice season!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Doooood! You get around. Some quality outings this winter Brad. Solid fishing. :)
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Yum, Yum
except the gull. :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

great winter you have there buddy.
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

You`ve caught fish every time you went without me lol!
Some nice fish for sure
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Way to go! Looks like a great season for ya!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Thanks everyone, it has been a pretty good winter mixed in with a bunch of skunkings. Still a couple weekends left to chase em through the ice so who knows what it'll bring. Counting down the days to chasing brookies in the open water.

Yves one of these days we'll get out for some trout. Your oldest guy will be old enough to tag along with ya a lot more soon so hopefully itll give ya an excuse to get out more lol.