Fish Sanctuary/Regs Near Wendover Discussion

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fish Sanctuary/Regs Near Wendover Discussion

Post by Hollywood »

Funny, the road in front of my house runs east - west, and this map shows them all east west and north south.....

And this one too....

And my property roll is listed as "part lot XXX on the fifth concession. " my address is concession road 6. Across the street from me is the north border of the sixth concession.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Ummm...

wow

---

can you tell me what direction north is on those maps?
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Hahaha, doh, not the way I thought it was. Any how, the point I was making is that the regulation indicates a point on the north side of the fourth concession. It is referring to the property lines, not the road. In this case they are one on the same hahaha. Wow. Man excuse me while I uncross my eyes here and maybe put this last beer down.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

So the reg is intended to keep people from fishing in the spawning beds in Plantagenet and under the hwy 17. bridge. From the CPR right of way, downstream to the mouth is 100% A-OK and that's where we'll be on the 1st.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

I found this http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LI ... 04996.html

Allows you to create your own map and they have the concession lots marked clearly so it's pretty easy to find the north side of concession 4 and there is lots of water downstream from there to the ottawa. Make your own maps and be sure.

Be safe on the ice everyone.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

so it seems like a long time solid member of the site took a bit of a $hit kicking here yet he has the regs in his favour to fish where he intends.

I guess the lineup for apologies starts here.....
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I guess the lineup for apologies starts here.....
Hey Mick thanks for being the first in line to apologize,,,,,,,,way to man up buddy!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

speaking of manning up.....lets hear it from you
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

You guys are all whacked out on "evening grade"!

Go fishing and let your fellow man do the same!!

Cabin Fever is rampant!
:mrgreen:
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

So, after this heated thread and private Facebook discussion with Hollywood, I contacted to South Nation Conservation Authority to get a definitive answer as to what exactly is the "C.P.R. right of way" and where this sanctuary actually is. I was told a few years ago by a CO that Jessup's Falls does not fall under any sanctuary, but some seemed quite adamant that I was misinformed. So here it is. The sanctuary in question is in the town of Plantagenet. Plantagenet Station to be exact and comes nowhere near the confluence of the South Nation and Ottawa River.

The C.P.R. right of way is now the Prescott-Russell rec trail.

4 of the 5 people I had lined up for our trip on March 1st cancelled in the days leading up to the trip, so we never got out. So gentlemen, before you attack a man's livelihood, please get your facts straight.

Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

fisherguy33 wrote:So, after this heated thread and private Facebook discussion with Hollywood, I contacted to South Nation Conservation Authority to get a definitive answer as to what exactly is the "C.P.R. right of way" and where this sanctuary actually is. I was told a few years ago by a CO that Jessup's Falls does not fall under any sanctuary, but some seemed quite adamant that I was misinformed. So here it is. The sanctuary in question is in the town of Plantagenet. Plantagenet Station to be exact and comes nowhere near the confluence of the South Nation and Ottawa River.

The C.P.R. right of way is now the Prescott-Russell rec trail.

4 of the 5 people I had lined up for our trip on March 1st cancelled in the days leading up to the trip, so we never got out. So gentlemen, before you attack a man's livelihood, please get your facts straight.

Were the cancelations due to the non-sense and jabs posted here or other reasons? That really sucks dude! All the best this year!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

This is an area I have never fished and am not knowlegeable about the boundaries for sanctuaries etc. But from reading up a bit and trying to follow this thread I am trying to figure a few things out.
First off... the area in question is not on the Ottawa River , correct? Therefore it falls under Zone 18, correct? From what I can read in the Regulations walleye is open from Jan 1 TO Mar 1. This means that the season opens 12:01 am Jan 1 and closes at Midnite on Feb 28 (or 29th... every four years) , correct? If so, why would you book a walleye trip one day after the season closes regardless if there's a sanctuary or not.
If it is on the Ottawa River then on March 1 there seems to be a size restriction 0f 40 cm, so why would you target large walleye that legally have to be released.... not technically against any laws... but maybe not a best practice.

Let me know if I am way off base here but that is how I read all the seasons opening and closing in the Regs. This thread may have seemed heated but I saw it more of one of concern and that answers didn't come soon enough before thins festered. Just my opinion. :)
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Pretty sure march 1 would be included so technically can fish until 11:59 pm on mar. 1. If its from jan.1-mar. 1 why would you be able to fish jan.1 and not mar. 1? Just my take on it and I could be wrong but that's what I understand, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't know why guys are harping on a guide who was trying to hook up his clients with some monster fish, that are in season. Isn't it his job to make clients happy? His years of work have helped him figure out when and where to find some big fish and who is anyone else to tell him his wrong when he's following the same regs everyone else has to follow? Let the man make a living. Keep at it Yan!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

... the wording is TO March 1st... not including March 1st. These are different things. All Ministry Regs are written this way. Ah ha... ( I just had a light bulb go on) as I think about this being related to the Hunting Regs... it is interpreted as "to the end" of the date specified (deer season was Nov 4 to Nov 17...including the 17th)... so in this case it would include March 1st... I get it now.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

That's how I interpreted it too. That's the beauty of these forms, people can discuss things like this because everyone interprets all the confusing regulations differently.