New World Record Musky

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

New World Record Musky

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Apparently there is a new record fish that was caught.

Anyone have more details? They were supposed to have been released today.
Caught on the Ottawa river apparently.

Not sure on measurements or weight at this time.
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Re: New World Record Musky

Post by nathan.barnard »

Just did a quick google search and nothing came up that was a recent post.

If anyone is going to land a world record, this is the time of the year it will likely happen.

Where did you hear this info?
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Dale McNair got another monster on 40 acre shoal on the St-Lawrence.

http://www.muskyhunter.com/forum/showth ... #post54994
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

From what limited rumors I heard she was 59 x 34! :shock:

The leviathan was released back into the waters!

Apparently the angler does not want to release the info right now (as the scrutiny and other B.S that ensues).

The pics were shared at the Ottawa Chapter of Muskies Canada meeting recently.

The FB fishing community is a flow with news on this.
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mikemicropterus »

Last edited by mikemicropterus on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

yup, John Anderson just posted on Facebook about a 59x34. crazy.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Hahaha....that whole story is loaded with BS. It is NOT the 35 pound fish in those ridiculous articles.

The fish in question is not a WR....because it was not kept. Don't think it was weighed...but doesn't matter as far as records go, because it wasn't kept.

NOT an Ottawa River fish.

Congrats to the angler.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

So the guy is fishing for pickerel with 600ft of hundred pound test line?????? I call BS lol.
Smitty

Straight shooter
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Relic wrote:
Hahaha....that whole story is loaded with BS. It is NOT the 35 pound fish in those ridiculous articles.

The fish in question is not a WR....because it was not kept. Don't think it was weighed...but doesn't matter as far as records go, because it wasn't kept.

Congrats to the angler.
Ding ding ding!!!

Wasn't this the same story that was up months ago?? I recognize that look on that guys face... you know.... the great thinker's of our time had that exact same look...

Craig
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I would suggest taking a look at John Andersons post that comes from MCI.
It is NOT the article referenced here.
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Relic wrote:

Congrats to the angler.
This portion of my response is about the fish you are mentioning, totally different fish than that article.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Does that mean a WR has to be kept in order for it to be true?

If video or photographic proof exists that the measurements are accurate? weight is taken?

Relic, I am only interested in ascertaining the requirements of verifying a fish for the purpose of it being a record. If the bottom line is it must be kept then so be it.

Isn't Dale's fish a record? It wasn't kept.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Yes... the fish has to be kept in order to be a world record. Otherwise, nearly every fisherman out there would be a world record holder of some kind. :lol: :P :lol:
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Does that mean a WR has to be kept in order for it to be true?

If video or photographic proof exists that the measurements are accurate? weight is taken?

Relic, I am only interested in ascertaining the requirements of verifying a fish for the purpose of it being a record. If the bottom line is it must be kept then so be it.

Isn't Dale's fish a record? It wasn't kept.
In order for it to be a WR it must be caught, killed and weighed on certified scales in front of witnesses...Period. Length X Girth Formulas are not nearly accurate enough. You know the fish maybe doesn't have to be killed. It you could get witnesses and certified scales to you, it could be weighed and released.

Dales fish is not a record. Is it potentially the largest muskie ever caught? Sure, but that's it, potentially. Nothing about that fish can be 100% verified as accurate and true.

Having excellent video and photographic evidence of the fishes measurements would help the world to believe the length and girth of a fish, and people may view it as the biggest fish ever caught. It still will not be a record in the books of any record keeping organization.

You know, this summer I caught a smallmouth bass that was 28 inches long with a 20 inch girth. That's a record. After I released it a swam across Lake Ontario in 12 hours. Thats a record. When I hit shore to replenish myself I ate 15 hotdogs in a minute. Thats a record.........
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Relic wrote:You know, this summer I caught a smallmouth bass that was 28 inches long with a 20 inch girth. That's a record. After I released it a swam across Lake Ontario in 12 hours. Thats a record. When I hit shore to replenish myself I ate 15 hotdogs in a minute. Thats a record.........
And that's only the beginning of Relic's accomplishments... "just for the record." :lol:

World record lake trout caught by Lloyd Bull is 72 pounds? IGFA. It was caught and kept. Aivar Slucis caught and released a 78 pound fish with two witnesses alongside. Both are great catches, both are easy to appreciate regardless of story, catch or release... but the funny thing is, with some past Plummer's guides the story handed down is that Bull's fish had more bull involved, being that he sat on the IGFA and before miraculously catching his 72 pound record that afternoon, a friend in his fishing party beat his previous world record 68 pound fish that morning; which didn't sit well with Lloyd. There was more, and who knows what is true or real. World record Arctic Char continue to be caught besting the 32 pounder in the books too, at least through some accounts... And as is with caught or released "potential" or true records for muskie, there seems to be believers and naysayers for each and every big fish caught. Best option if not killing the fish and proving without any shadow of a doubt that it is the record is, to leave the word "record" out of the story. It's a personal best. It's a biggest fish. It's a great accomplishment and your awesome experience.

If Anderson pegged a dandy, good on him. Deserved for his time and efforts. Same with MacNair, Thorpe, Laz or whomever! Just hope the guys keep it real because for some people, getting caught up in "records" goes straight to their head.