help with salmon species!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

help with salmon species!

Post by Streamside88 »

ok so went salmon fishing and caught some fish! yay now most of them were all the same ''type'' (still not sure if its coho or chinook) except for the one witch looked different then the rest can someone clarify this for me?

-here is the ''comon'' type (male) witch had a uniform yellowish ting with dark spots on top, head is narrow with straighter edges and body is uniformly elongated.

Image[/URL]

-here is the female version that i caught last year of the common ones...

Image[/URL]

-and here is the ''weird different one'' (male) witch was completely dark green with white accents (around gill plate, fins, mouth and tail) head was shorter, wider and rounder and the body was short and stout (very wide) and fins were much larger as well. not to mention put up a ridiculous fight, well fought way more then the others ones! didint think i was gonna land it until he fired out of a deep pool into a run with only a couple inches of water so i ran up and grabbed him :P

**Both were caught in the same general area on the same day.

Image[/URL]
Last edited by Streamside88 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Re: help with salmon species!

Post by Streamside88 »

apparently there all chinooks! i guess i got the black sheep of the herd....
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nope not the black sheep....just one that's closer to dying! :lol:

RJ
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

Mean looking!
Sweet catch!
The "fresh" ones put up a good fight, the ones with one foot in the grave tend to come in like a bunch of wool socks!