Fishing Upper Rideau Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fisher002
Participant
Participant

Fishing Upper Rideau Lake

Post by fisher002 »

Good day,

I will be in Wesport next week for a family vacation. I have not fished on Upper Rideau lake for years and would like to know if it is any good nowadays. If anyone like to share some techniques/ lures etc. that are useful for bass in this area it would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fishing Upper Rideau Lake

Post by Raminator »

Nuthin's changed still decent largie fishin', boat traffic is ridiculous, water filthy, but big fish still around.
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

Can't comment on the water being "filthy" as I spend a lot of time fishing around the Westport area lakes and I've never noticed any water issues. Most of them will have a bit of a tea stain but that extends for most of the Rideau.

Lots of boat traffic so if you're in a smaller craft, just be mindful. It becomes interesting if you're fishing out of a 14 foot boat and a massive cruiser rolls past.

There are healthy small mouth populations as well in the system but much harder to catch than large mouth. Tons of small to medium sized pike that will hit the usual fair. More rock bass than I have seen in any lake in my entire life and they are irritating.

I find soft plastics out perform any hard baits / spinner baits. Match colours depending on conditions.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Filthy Upper Rideau? The river may be perceived to be dirty as people see algae and think it's dirty but it's all far from "dirty". No 297593 Million litres of sewage being dumped in up this way....

Traffic on a weekend is about average for any local lake. Most are simply travelling thru via the locks.

Standard Bass tactics ie. Cranks, Senkos, Tubes etc. will generally put you into some action. I've been playing out on some deeper stuff out there with some great results.

It's too bad some tournaments still allow fish to be locked down to either Big Rideau or Newboro because those fish obviously never make it back up into this lake but I'll leave that one alone...

RJ
fisher002
Participant
Participant

Post by fisher002 »

Thanks, I will try to avoid drinking the water :? For the baits I have a few 5'' senko (brown/green), how good are those? I assume there would be a tackle shop in Westport?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Norris' near Westport or Bennett's in Smiths Falls will have everything you'll need.

RJ
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

There is a bait shop on tge main road that brings you into westport. If you go down tge big hill, follow and continue past the curve in tge road. It will be on the left hand side. If you are looking for a place for lunch you should check out the Cove inn and if you eat their you can dock your boat there.

Cheers and good luck,

Andrew