WARNING: Fishing on NCC Property

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

WARNING: Fishing on NCC Property

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Good morning,

Here is my 1st Public Service announcement of 2013.

Many people like to shore fish on NCC property (parks within Ottawa/Gatineau).

I was recently told of a story where a guy and his 5 year old son were fishing on the Rideau river near the bowling club. This is the Bronson area I believe.

The man was approached by an NCC officer, told by said officer he was poaching (eventhough he had a license and showed it) and was given a fine of $495.00.

They went to federal court to fight this and the judge upheld the fine.

Here is the wording from the Justice Canada website regarding NCC traffic and property regulations (C.R.C.,c.1044)

35. (1) No person shall hunt, take or kill any game or fish on property of the Commision except in those parts thereof that have been designated by the Commision for that purpose.

(2) No person shall hunt, take or kill any game, or fish for any fish or engage in any activity relating to hunting or fishing in any designated area referred to in subsection (1) otherwise than in accordance with the laws of the province in which the area is situated.

Now, with that said I even phoned to ask the NCC about this. The "Service Desk" totally contradicted this LAW and told me "Oh yes sir you may fish from NCC property"....

If anyone knows or can find the list of "designated areas" that would be great as I asked and they could not provide me a link.

Don't want anyone here to be fined and am passing this on as info.

Please, if anyone has additional info they can provide please share it.

Source of info: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... age-5.html

*They had no fish in their possesion and no there were no signs clearly stating "NO FISHING"....
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: WARNING: Fishing on NCC Property

Post by Bass Addict »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
I was recently told of a story ..........

Stop right there Jimmy !!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

"designated areas" includes Gatineau Park -> http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/places- ... ineau-park (with some exceptions)

dunno about Ottawa side but I've shore fished pretty much all over and never had an issue.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Well, you indicated that he was charged with poaching, as opposed to fishing in a zone that was not designated for fishing. If I was to guess, it sounds as though they might have been fishing for bass before the season opened. I've been stopped in the past by NCC officers, and they are pretty thorough in checking licenses, etc.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Gotta be more to this story.

RJ
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Would be nice to get all the facts on the case. Having said that, the area near the bowling club, if that is where it happened, appears to me, not to be NCC property. Also, the service desk did not contradict the LAW. The service desk said correctly, you can fish "from" NCC property. The law quoted refers to property owned by the NCC as defined further down from article 35 of the law you mentioned and linked to. Since the charge was poaching, I feel that we are not hearing all the facts. Just my view anyway.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

I called the NCC Office and enquired about fishing around Dow's Lake and other NCC properties.

The person's supervisor confirmed that fishing is allowed and no fines would be given if the laws are respected.

I'm satisfied.
gaspumper
Participant
Participant

Post by gaspumper »

Same as any story YOURS MINE and THE TRUTH.