Sunday Jan 30 REDEMPTION report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Sunday Jan 30 REDEMPTION report

Post by plncrzy »

FishOn and me decide to try out our sleds on another backwoods trout outing. This time in another section of zone 15. I was supposed to buy the minnows and worms on Saturday. I got busy with my youngest sons B-Day party out at the Deifenbunker, which didn’t end until 5:30. I was crossing my fingers that I could get back to Bits and Baits in time before they closed but I had to drop off a person before going there. Lucky for me they stayed open just a few minutes past 6pm and I got my minnows and worms.

For this trip, my Son was supposed to come with us and so , to accommodate, I asked that we leave at 6:00am instead of the usual 4:30. I woke up at 5am to get ready and found notes on my sons door indicating that he wasn’t coming due to the fact that he forgot that had assignments due for Monday and hence had to stay home…. ARGGHHH 16 year olds!!!

FishOn arrived exactly at 6AM as expected, we hooked my trailer and drove the 1.5 hours to our parking spot. Unloaded and proceeded to our lakes. We set out to SPLAKE LAKE #1, we find our chosen spot, obvious location with holes already been drilled there before… and we wait…. And we wait…. And we wait… NOTHING…. So we pack up and move on to a BROOK trout lake#2 (with a modified tactic) It was one of those tinny back woods lakes the size of your back yard, we pulls into the lake at the swampy end and with the fresh snow cover my ski doo did not see the tree stump hiding just below snow cover. AND YES you guesed it… WAM .. I hit the stump.. good thing I wasn’t going fast!
Anyway, we set up a few holes and the lake is VERY slushy , there is a lot of water on this lake BUT…. REDEMPTION…. the fishing wasn’t stellar but the trout were larger. We wanted to check out some better location on the lake but one of my boots had a hole in it and my left foot was already soaked. There was another similar lake near by and I suggested that we just pack up and move on to the other lake in hopes that its not as wet.

On our way to Brook trout lake #3, I notice my right ski is sitting kind of funny, so I stop my sled to have a look…. OUCH…… that stump I hit earlier had bent my lower control arm and the tie-rod end had broke! … Lucky for me FishOn had a role of wire and I Magievered (sort of) a way of holding the ski in a little at least enough to get back the 15km ride back!!!

On our way back, we passed a stock Spec lake which I will call Brook trout lake #4 and since it was still middle of the afternoon, we decided to pull over and try our luck. FishOn catches 2 more eater size specs out of a 10’ hole. We look at the time and since we still have ~12km to go at about 10-20km/h … we decide its time to end the day. The day ends 5 specs total. I am sure had I had better boots and not hit that tree stump, we would have limited out yesterday.

FishON and I cant wait for our next outing in the back woods, I have to make some quick repairs to my sled and plan our next adventure
Last edited by plncrzy on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Awsome job on the fish boys and even better job on the ski!! :lol:

Too bad no splake visited ya. A lot of the back lakes in my neck of the woods is slushy on top...Dont remember a big thaw or anything to create this top water slush so must be all the insulated snow on top.

What was the biggest fish of the day size wise??
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Thanks for the report 8)
|Dore|
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Good outing, beside the snowmobile damage.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
gethooked
Participant
Participant

Post by gethooked »

got to love them brookies
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Nice looking morsel of trout!

Thanks for sharing your pics with us!

Craig
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

You broke your skidoo, but caught fish...believe me when I say much better than my Sunday. Nice lookin speck.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

skidoo and trout.................. i think i wet my pants
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

-- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

skidoo and trout.................. i think i wet my pants
[/quote]

too funny...

those specs are worth the work.. you'da needed 16" boots to keep dry this past weekend
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Thanks for the report and pics.

Too bad about your sled getting damaged.

Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Quite an adventure...thanks for reporting and better luck through the rest of the year :) !

tight lines

ratsotail
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice work gettin that thing movable again....and a fish to boot. Nice!

RJ
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Great outing guys :) .
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Nice work on the sled McGyverism. I'm sure getting onto some fish certainly helped on what could have been a much worse situation. :wink: :D
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Thanks for the coments

Yes, the fact that we caught some nice fish and especialy the fact that we found a nice lake with LARGER than average specs sure made up for the broken part. Although I found out today that Ski doo is pretty bad for discontuing parts after only a few years abd although this machine is 15 years old, the parts are discontinued and I am stuggling to find even a used replacement part for this.... :roll: I want to get back out and catch more specs :cry: BTW... I added another pic to the post, The two specs are eater size beleive it or not. One looks tinny by comparison doesnt it?
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner