Ice Fishing tournament with supper Feb 19th in Wendover

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice Fishing tournament with supper Feb 19th in Wendover

Post by Hollywood »

Hey guys and gals, every year we put on a couple fishing tournaments in Wendover. Many of you know about our Wendover Walleye Classic (www.wendoverwalleye.ca) but we also throw a great ice fishing tournament.

It's an all species tournament with cash prizes and tons of door prizes. Last year we had about 300 people. The cost is $15 and includes a spaghetti supper at the community centre. You can register when you show up at Walleye Hunter's shack on the bay in Wendover....you can't miss it as he will have a big sign that says "Pesee" and will probably have tunes cranked again outside!

If you have kids, this is a good one too! Kids under 12 fish for free! In association with Bob Izumi's Kids, Cops and Canadian Tire Fishing Days, we will have a kids area set up from 10AM - 2PM where they can come and fish with an OPP officer and check out his gear. I think the snowmobile team is coming too this year. As with every year so far, every kid will get a prize too regardless of how well they do. Kids had a blast last year, you can see pics at our website (wendoverwalleye.ca).

In addition, we are taking advantage of a licence-free fishing weekend and have teamed up with South Nation Conservation to create a learn-to-fish area where adults who have never tried hard water fishing before can reserve in advance and come try it out. For that area, we will supply the gear and assist everyone.

Proceeds for this tournament go to our Knights of Columbus council..... And stay tuned for details of the Walleye Classic coming up on June 18th. Over $6200 in cash prizes last year and over $5000 in door prizes. We are raffling another Crestliner boat this year too with a 50HP mercury 4 stroke and trailer. I will post more details on the classic soon.

See you on the 19th!!
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Good on you guys for doing this. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

Good on you guys. I get married on the 26th, so the 19th is the bachorlorette party... Any motels nearby, if I come I will be staying the night.....Banned from home that night. :shock:
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Yep, there's the Motel Champlain in Plantagenet. I've stayed in it, and it's a good price. My dad and uncle stay at the Champlain when they come for the Classic, plus it has it's own restraunt that has great food. Only 5 mins down the road from Wendover.

Married eh? My sympathies.... I mean cogratulations! hahaah.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

hummm just might look into it !
|Dore|
voltom9
Participant
Participant

Post by voltom9 »

sound like fun
the walleye hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by the walleye hunter »

This year we will also have live intertainment during and after supper.
One man solo band. He's pretty good and gets the crowd going.
Should be fun!
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

What time does the tourney start? How early can we regsister? I'm looking forward to it!
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Fishin runs from 7 AM untiL 4 PM Followed by supper at the hallm. You can stop and pay Gil at his shack, pre-registering isn't necessary.... But you know where he lives, so you can always arrange it ahead of time :)
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

hollywood, why have you stayed in this hotel in plantagenet, you live 5 mins up the road. is it your dog house when steph kicks you out. lol
Hollywood catches more perch than me
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Im gone a be there as usual. Thats a very nice derby and like they said if you have kids bring them along also. I just cant wait for that.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

bostonwhaler wrote:hollywood, why have you stayed in this hotel in plantagenet, you live 5 mins up the road. is it your dog house when steph kicks you out. lol
Not dog house, playhouse with my wife once :).
the walleye hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by the walleye hunter »

Hollywood wrote:Fishin runs from 7 AM untiL 4 PM Followed by supper at the hallm. You can stop and pay Gil at his shack, pre-registering isn't necessary.... But you know where he lives, so you can always arrange it ahead of time :)
Sorry Hollywood, i'm sure you were unware of the fishing times.
The tournament runs from 6am to 6pm as per past years.
The scale ends at 6pm SHARP. No later! fish must be alive, or at least obviously seen as caught that day of! (and i can tell the difference).
You can buy tickets ahead of time at Pete's minnow shack in Wendover.
Most people register the week of or the morning of.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Yep, I was unaware as nobody tells me anything hahahah
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Hollywood wrote:Yep, I was unaware as nobody tells me anything hahahah
You sound like me Myles! Ignorance is bliss... and I am SOOOooo blissful!

This sounds like a great derby! Kids will have a blast with a setup like this. I hope it goes off without a hitch and everyone has fun!

Good luck all!!

Craig